• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People..huh!

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Just had a call from a lady.

She said" Hello I'm after a rabbit and a couple of guinea pigs for my daughter and thought you may have some"

I asked "How old is your daughter?"

Reply " Oh she's 2 "

:roll: :evil: Enough said

Jill... I've got a 2yr old :shock: does that mean I can't have my Beauty? :cry:
:lol: Just messing - I think everyone knows that the bunnies are my babies, and have nothing to do with my pesky kids! :lol:
What kind of person thinks that a bunny and some piggies will entertain a 2 yr old :?

Having no children myself, i am not familiar with the vocabulary of a two year old... but seriously... this woman is off her trolley right... I assumed you diplomatically told her where to go Jill. :p

I'd rather parents let their children grow up learning to respect animals than not - I don't think it's fair to judge someone for wanting a pet for their children, obviously it's totally different if they expect the children to take sole responsibility but I'm sure there are plenty of parents who get pets "for the children" and treat them as their own

The majority of people who i have spoken too... parents etc, always 'moan' about their children not cleaning their pets out... which makes me angry....

Dont get a pet for a child, if u expect them to clean it out.... especially when the kid is like 2,3,4 etc....

Then they end up trying to get rid of it... as they are selfish

Ben's mum said:
I'd rather parents let their children grow up learning to respect animals than not - I don't think it's fair to judge someone for wanting a pet for their children, obviously it's totally different if they expect the children to take sole responsibility but I'm sure there are plenty of parents who get pets "for the children" and treat them as their own

yes, very true that it's good for kids to grow up with pets, my kids 'help' with veg feeding, cleaning etc. but ultimatley all my animals are here because I want them to be here...

Sorry but at 2 that is never acceptable to be given a rabbit even if the parents look after them :evil:

I've had people ring me loads of times, one guy wanted a 'bombproof' rabbit for his son who was two. He had no garden and intented to leave them at home as they went away most weekends. I gave him a huge speech, but I doubt it helped, I was very polite, though felt like screaming, but he'll just go somewhere else.

mandy said:
Sorry but at 2 that is never acceptable to be given a rabbit even if the parents look after them :evil:

I think children should have 'pets' as how else are they to learn to be gentle with animals but it goes without saying that adults should be responsible. Rabbits are not a good option though are they :roll:

When my son was 2 years old he got two little mice as he wanted a 'pet' (unbelievable now as we have hundreds of the :censored: things unwanted). They were a good pet, he could watch them, feed them and I used to put them in the bath for them to exercise and he could sit on the edge of the bath to watch them. He also learnt the concept of death and understood the finality of it which I don't think is a bad thing either. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think getting pets for children is ok as long as the adult wants them too but age appropriate ones

I work in a nursery and can say none of the 2 year olds there would be able to handle a rabbit or piggy farless look after the poor wee things. Kids loose interest in things so easily (tryin to entertain 24kids a day can be difficult :lol: ) but what posseses parents to think an animal will keep a child happy?...
Shove it in garden over weekend till they get their house cleaned then the poor we things abandoned. i may be completly wrong but animals deserve more respect than that!!!
x

Looking after my buns is like having a couple of two year old kids! :lol:
I love it though! :D

Why do so many people treat bringing an animal into their lives like a cross between getting new Barbie & a house plant? :evil:

Hi! I'm mom to 6 kids ages 2 to 19 and now a 2yr old bunny. My 11 year old begged for the bunny for her birthday, promising to care for it all herself, but in reality it is as much work for me as her--more as I have to check on and supervise all she does. My 2yr old loves the bunny, but I won't let her near it unsupervised--she thought the bunny would like it when she tried to give it rocks by dropping them over the pen sides. We raised the pen height to prevent that! But the bunny runs to her whenever it hears her high-pitched talking and laughing so I guess it isn't afraid of her! The bunny comes to the 2yr old better than to the 11 yr old! My 11 yr old Susy is wary of the rabbit--maybe she thought it would be as predictable as a stuffed animal. I love having a bunny again though.

Not really sure what to make of this thread. Should I feel guilty or should I be upset?
Kirsty was just 2 1/2 yrs old when we first had 2 rabbits as family pets. 11 years & 5 rescue bunnies later, we now have a daughter who is a caring & dedicated 'bunny mummy'. I don't think its worked out too badly. Do you?
Please don't tar all parents of young children with the same brush!

Mike

Back