• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lionheads wanted

karen354 said:
Well I think that will depend on the shed or hutch size .. Is there any reason why you want just doe's ? Will you be getting them spayed ?
i will be getting a buck as well but i got a huge averaiy which i putting a hutch in and left open and lots of space for them to roam

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave: , I guess as long as you've the right space, time and money you could have a little group. :D I have a group of five bunnies, not lionheads though, I have one lion head in my siggie V

If you're having a group then it's best if there all spayed as otherwise they can end up a bit grump/territorial with each other. So one concideration would be how many spays you can afford.

If you are getting youngsters (siblings) then you shouldn't have to much problem with them living together. Though don't forget the males will need to be seperated and neutered so you don't end up with hundreds of bunnies running around :D

Tamsin

I have a bonded group of 9 buns which includes 4 males & 5 females. 4 of them are lionhead/lionhead crosses. I had to get them all neutered/spayed to live together though :D

Whereabouts are you? I have a trio of lionhead females here looking for a home - they will be spayed & then rehomed through a Rescue :D

i really wanted two females and one male for breeding i already breed guinea pigs and have lots of ground to build houses with runs .any information will be great :)

flufftails said:
i really wanted two females and one male for breeding i already breed guinea pigs and have lots of ground to build houses with runs .any information will be great :)

Oh I thought this was the case :( :(

flufftails said:

Although everyone is welcome on RU and it's a great site for help and information on your rabbits, you're unlikely to find a breeding trio as it's primarily a pro-rescue site and recommends neutering rabbits to prevent pregnancies.

I suggest you do search for a breeder forum or contact your local breeders of lionheads, although I urge to reconsider breeding - there are thousands of unwanted rabbits in rescue at the moment with many more being put to sleep :( Why not rescue and rehome rabbits instead, you'll find you end up with accidental litters anyway and you are then helping rabbit welfare :)

flufftails said:

I doubt you'll get much help here I'm afraid as the majority of people are pro rescue and you can see why when over 30,000 rabbits are dumped on rescues each year.

Look at these lionheads waiting for homes and this is an absolutely tiny percentage of those nationwide:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...=%&breed=Lion+Head&County=%&Submit=++Search++

You're set up sounds great for some pet non breeding rabbits though :)

am i right in thinking that when bunnies have babies they have to all be seperated anyway even from other females :? , if so i guess you'd have problems keeping a group together anyway because seperating rabbits for any period of time can cause fighting when you reintroduce

Vix said:
am i right in thinking that when bunnies have babies they have to all be seperated anyway even from other females :? , if so i guess you'd have problems keeping a group together anyway because seperating rabbits for any period of time can cause fighting when you reintroduce

the females CAN all be kept together, but if unspayed may start to fight at 4plus months old :wink: & mums with kits should be kept alone as the other adult may kill the babies (although i didn't do this with my free ad litter, cos I didn't know which was mum!!)

Lionheads are a pretty common breed aswell. There are a LOT in Rescues.
I have 9 here out of the 23 buns in total. To ensure you're not just just in-breeding teeth problems etc, you'd need to get the full history of each bun.

sorry i didnt write that very clearly i meant the mums had to be seperated from each other when they had babies!

Vix said:
sorry i didnt write that very clearly i meant the mums had to be seperated from each other when they had babies!

I think that's advised, but I know a few people haven't. I was one - but I wanted to separate but was scared of getting wrong Mum :shock:

Two females were brought in pregnant to the rescue I help at and the two females were left together and the babies had been killed in the morning :cry:

mandy said:
Two females were brought in pregnant to the rescue I help at and the two females were left together and the babies had been killed in the morning :cry:

aww, that's awful :(

Two breeding females can sometimes be left together and I know of a few cases where it has worked out well, but it's generally not a good idea. The cases that worked well, one was the girls were free-range in a bedroom and the pregnant bun claimed the closet for her nest. The other, both girls were recent rescues and in a large pen in a foster home. The mom gave birth within a few days, before they had a chance to have a vet check her. Thankfully everything went well.

Do keep in mind that it's not unusual for siblings/bonded babies to fight when they reach puberty. Spaying will help a lot, but not always.

Flufftails, please please please read more about breeding before you decide to do it. There are lots of beautiful rabbits in need of homes. There are also many dangers in breeding for both the mom and the kits. You need to be prepared for late night emergency vet trips, huge vet bills, and a broken heart. I'm not exaggerating- I have several friends who are breeders. They knew what they were getting into, but it's still hard to loose a runt and it's very stressful when a mom is past her due date and needs a vet visit to induce labor, or emergency spays due to stuck kits.

Most of bunnies from rescues are spayed or neautered already though aren't they ? She wants bunnies for breeding so I can't see rescues allowing her to adopt one of thier bunnys ..

Back