• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First aid kit

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hiya
I have bought myself a lovely pink box with carry handle and I',m going to decorate it with bunnies and use it as my first aid box. I want some ideas as to what i can put in it, this is what i have so far:
Infacol
vaseline
sudocrem
cotton buds
styptic powder
bandage
wipes for bottoms
wipes for eyes
tweezers
scissors
recovery

Thanks for this thread, it's never occurred to me to have a medical kit but I'll start assembling one now for the buns and the piggies

Kathryn x

great, thanks jane, you're a wealth of information!! any ideas where i might buy such things as

Bio-Lapis
Fibreplex
Hibiscub
Sterile Saline
Thermometer
Dry Iodine Spray

Theremometers? not sure i would be confident to use one! do you buy a special kind and is there any other way of doing temperature?

bunny mad lisa said:
great, thanks jane, you're a wealth of information!! any ideas where i might buy such things as

Bio-Lapis
Fibreplex
Hibiscub
Sterile Saline
Thermometer
Dry Iodine Spray

Theremometers? not sure i would be confident to use one! do you buy a special kind and is there any other way of doing temperature?

I use the 'old fashioned' type thermometer. Buns rectal temp is taken by inserting the themometer into Buns bottom( :oops: ) . Your Vet/Vet Nurse should be able to show you how.

Janex

I have:

Mite spray
Ivomet wotsit mite treatment
Mite shampoo
Wound powder
Baytril
Nail clippers
Soluble vitamins

That's about it. Bit :censored: really :oops:

There's also bandages, plasters & guaze in there too, in case Calel gets a hold :oops: :lol:

Thanks everyone, thats a big help, shall go shopping later and should be able to get everything i need, might put some plasters in there for me! :lol: good suggestion angie!
I shall be putting together a little article together for the next magazine as i'm sure lots of readers will find it useful!

I also have

Metacam
Needles
Cotton wool
Avipro
Prepulsid
Canaural
Maxitrol
Rodi kolan

If that's any help

I'm going to put together a medical kit for when we go to Madrid. This thread has really helped! :)

AMETHYST

A great thread. Does anyone know if there is anything for breathing difficulties, to open airways that should be in a first aid kit? Like steroid/
antihistamine OTC sprays humans use?? (before you get to, or on the way to the vets)

I think we need to be careful re the PRESCRIPTION MEDS for a basic First Aid Kit

Baytril, Metacam, Prepulsid, Canaural etc are all POMs and should only be used when prescribed by a Vet :wink:

Janex

CARASBLANCO said:
A great thread. Does anyone know if there is anything for breathing difficulties, to open airways that should be in a first aid kit? Like steroid/
antihistamine OTC sprays humans use?? (before you get to, or on the way to the vets)

I think you can use a small amount of albas oil on a handkerchief to help with breathing.

infacol
sudocrem
coton wool rol
coton woolpads
wound powder
animal tea tree eczema cream
syringes of different sizes
recovery
bio lapis
fibreplex
baby food
dressings
micropore tape
cohesive bandages/tape
cornmflour ( works well if you cut nails short and make them bleed )
hibiscrub
tweezers
bandage scissors
latex gloves
panacur rabbit

Jack's-Jane said:
I think we need to be careful re the PRESCRIPTION MEDS for a basic First Aid Kit

Baytril, Metacam, Prepulsid, Canaural etc are all POMs and should only be used when prescribed by a Vet :wink:

Janex

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: oops sorry!!, got carried away with what I keep in my bunny medicine box

I don't believe if anyone said it... but maybe an e-collar. I know with gliders an e-collar is sometimes necessary so they wont bite their wounds when they are in pain and cause further damage.

Back