• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have/had wild bunnies?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello

currently hand rearing 4 wild bunnies who are now about nine days old. Have not done this before although the vets are helping me out which is great.

Would like to get as much information/advice and stories from anyone who has experience of wild bunnies, whether you've hand reared them and released them, or kept them as domestic or wild bunnies.

Would most appreciate it as searching the forums for different posts take ages!

Suzanne

I have two half wild boys who were born here, you wont be able to release them back to the wild as being so young they will become domesticated, they will still act very wild indeed and possibly never be cuddley buns as my two arn't but they will rely on you for food and water, My two wild boys escaped from there run last year but didn't leave the garden and just hopped back into there hutch for dinner (our garden isn't secure by any means)

I'd be really interested to see some pics as I think my Weedie is half wild. He was found in the streets and I reckon he's deffo got the look of a wild bun about him.

He's extremely tame and very cuddly :D :love: although he does "woof" alot! He woofs whenever you put anything in the run or cage (even food) and absolutely attacks the brush when I clean them out! He pounces on it with front paws flailing and bites it! :shock: He can be quite aggressive with Bundle too sometimes :( (although she does give as good as she gets). I think he's definitely more territorial than her though, and have often wondered if him being so vocal is something to do with being wild.... :?

Hi

I've had some experience in rearing and releasing wild bunnies. (Pics in bottom row of sig!)

I will pm you too :)

hello

many thanks for all your messages and pms.

I took bunnies back to the vets today to check they were all ok as I had been a bit worried about how much food they were having. The veterinary nurse whos been helping me thinks they look very healthy and whilst I was there we fed them all so I could just make sure that I was giving them what they needed.

I am totally unsure at the moment about what would be best for them, I do feel that the environment they came from is a dangerous place (stoats, foxes, mxy, traps and guns) and feel that a wildlife sanctury would perhaps be the best thing. Some people think that I could bring them up myself but yes they will always have a wild side and will require more freedom than the average bunny. A few also think that because we've had them from 3-4 days old there is a chance they will become quite tame.

So who knows just got to keep them going so will keep you all updated.

Hi Suzanne,

I have a wild bunny who is about 1 and a half years old now. He's great! My husband brought him home after finding him on a busy highway. We didn't know he was wild and we fell in love with him! He was only 3 weeks when we got him. He is a little bit more jumpy than a domesticated rabbit but can sit for hours for pats! We are currently bonding him to our other rabbit, a Giant Flemish crossed with a lop. I find having a little place for him to hide in when he's scared helps. We have a cat scratching post with a sheet over it and he sleeps there all day. At night he comes out and stretches out on the rug while we watch tv and he even lays in bed with us. I can't pick him up without a blanket to wrap around him but I hear of domesticated rabbits that need that too. Good luck with it all!

Karen

PS. To Bundle - My wild rabbit, Binky, does make a sound I've called a snort but now that you mention it, it does sound like a "woof"! He does it sometimes when I give him treats. He is also very territorial, he chins everything. Much more so than my other two domestic rabbits.

BinkyBaby4.jpg

BinkySleeping2.jpg

06082006083-001.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

aussie bunny mummy said:
Hi Suzanne,

I have a wild bunny who is about 1 and a half years old now. He's great! My husband brought him home after finding him on a busy highway. We didn't know he was wild and we fell in love with him! He was only 3 weeks when we got him. He is a little bit more jumpy than a domesticated rabbit but can sit for hours for pats! We are currently bonding him to our other rabbit, a Giant Flemish crossed with a lop. I find having a little place for him to hide in when he's scared helps. We have a cat scratching post with a sheet over it and he sleeps there all day. At night he comes out and stretches out on the rug while we watch tv and he even lays in bed with us. I can't pick him up without a blanket to wrap around him but I hear of domesticated rabbits that need that too. Good luck with it all!

Karen

PS. To Bundle - My wild rabbit, Binky, does make a sound I've called a snort but now that you mention it, it does sound like a "woof"! He does it sometimes when I give him treats. He is also very territorial, he chins everything. Much more so than my other two domestic rabbits.

BinkyBaby4.jpg

BinkySleeping2.jpg

06082006083-001.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

Awww he's gorgeous :love: he does look quite a bit like Weedie except Weedie has that bit of white on his chest. I think that given where he was found (Weedie that is) there's a very good chance he was wild - my vet even said so! I love him to bits though :love:

Are you allowed to release buns back into the wild? I saw on telly a squirrel that got caught, and after vet treatment, it was discovered that it is illegal to re release them, since they are classified as vermin..are buns the same?

Flo said:
Are you allowed to release buns back into the wild? I saw on telly a squirrel that got caught, and after vet treatment, it was discovered that it is illegal to re release them, since they are classified as vermin..are buns the same?

Hi

It is perfectly legal to release wild rabbits.
Grey squirrels are not an indigenous species and fall under Section 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which means it is illegal to release them. This also applies to Canada geese, Ruddy ducks and others that I can't think of at the moment!
Stupid law IMO :evil:

Hi Bundle,

Weedie probably is part wild. I think wild bunnies are just so special. I keep saying to my husband "that's a wild bunny we have in the bed with us!" It just amazes me how comfortable he is with us! My vet absolutely loves him too. He is like a little boy when we bring him in!

one bunny now has their eyes open! :-D

all still doing really well apart from one i'm a bit worried about as he/she covers its face when its feeeding time. Have to prise his feet away to get to his mouth. Hoping he/shes just shy!

IsabelM said:
awww little wild weedie! I lurve him and Bundle.

Awww thanks Isabel! :D I love him very much - he's my special snuggle boy! :D :lol:

I think he's probably all wild to be honest, I need to take some more recent photos but my camera's broke :( Need to get a new one.

He's only got the white on half of his chest, so on one side you can't see the white at all (if that makes sense). I've seen lots of wild bunnies with bits of white on them though.

It's really funny to hear him "woof" though :lol: Bundle never makes any noise and he's so vocal. He really is so tame though. It's quite hard to catch him as he's cunning 8) but once I've caught him he snuggles right up to me and kisses me :love: he'll lie on a cushion on my lap with his back feet kicked out behind him relaxing, licking whichever bit he can reach! :lol: :lol:

IsabelM said:
awwwwwwwwww I think somebun needs bunny-napping 8)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :shock: :evil: no-one takes my Weedie boy! he's my baby! :lol: :lol:

I just got in from work early and him and Bundle were both begging for their papaya tablets! They go mad for them! :lol: :lol:

Back