• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benji not well again!

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
Benji wasnt eating again this morning :(

I gave him a little bit of baytril that the vets gave us when we went the other week (they said it was ok to give it to him if it happened again) and gave him 1/2mls of pineapple juice to try and get his guts working but had to leave him to come to my interview in Leicester.

Simon is taking me home after the interview to see if he is any better and if not it looks like the vets again.

Last time they said there were not any problems with his teeth so any ideas as to why this has happened a second time in about a month?

Jane suggested that it may have been something to do with ingesting another rabbits fur as Benji is similar to a rex and lives with non rexy rabbits but it hadn't happened before up until a couple of weeks ago so why now has it happened twice in a few weeks?

Any ideas and suggstions of what to do with him when this happens are very much appreciated!

oh dear..sorry to hear this Lynda

could be fur..or does he eat cardboard or paper? Will have the same effect..block his gut..
he made need a syringe feed regualrly over the next 2 days..his pellets mixed wth some fruity baby food usualy works...
if you're really worried obviously a vert check is best.
Let us know how he goes..and hope interview went well. x

Baytril? Forgive me if I'm being stupid but why Baytril?

Do you have any liquid parafin in at all?

Hope he is better soon. Did he have cabbage/greens last night - could he have a sensitive tummy and develop gas easily?

Fiona x

Awwww i hope he's feeling better soon Lynda i don't hae any sugestions as to why it keeps happening though sorry xx

Poor Benji :cry:

Were his teeth examined under GA? It is often not possible to get a good view of all the back teeth when the Bun is awake.

Has he ever had sludgey wee? Did the Vet check Benji's bladder. Sludgey wee can cause intermitent pain (Cystitis)

Grooming his companion daily will help prevent Benji ingesting too much of her fur. Feeding lots of hay is obviously something you already do but IF he has some sharp spurs on his back teeth he may not be eating as much hay and this will mean his GI motility will be reduced. Then any fur eaten will make things worse.

Sending Vibes for Benji

Janex

I have a couple of buns (well - Flint) that refuses to eat on baytril too - so i'd check with the vet to see if there's anything he could have as an alternative.

Poor Benji - sending vibes

Tree Baytril was just what the vet gave him last time he was not feeling well so I just gave him some incase he was in pain... sounds a bit stupid now actually but that and the pineapple juice seemed to work.

Got back home and he was fine again :roll:

Been trying to limit the amount of boxes and paper they get but I did notice when I cleaned them out yesterday that some of the newspaper had been eaten.

Will keep an eye on him for the next few days and syringe feed him again if needs be, he does seem to be better now but if he's not i'll pop him to the vets.

Jane his teeth were just checked normally and not under a GA, the vet I saw advised me to go and see the rabbit savvy vet if the probems persisted as she did say it could be the back teeth, I literally just remembered that now so thanks Jane, if it seems to become a regular problem I will get his teeth checked out by Rebecca

Becca said:
So glad he is better :D
Blooming heck these bunnies don,t half scare us don,t they.

You're telling me... Benji has even had the BF worried today!! So much so that he's going to go and look after him for a bit while I'm at work tomorrow :lol:

aawww im glad Benji is feeling a little better again.. what a worry!
Dont know if you said the right thing or not but Baytril is an antibiotic not a pain killer :wink:
I do hope he doesnt get ill again.. another thing could maybe be the weather? Its been pretty mild again lately :? Have you noticed any stringy poos or very small poos? that i believe would suggest a blockage or eating too much hair :?

Poos seem to be normal although its hard to tell whos poo's whos with 3 of em living together!

Not too sure the weather would affect him as he is inside and the flat is pretty much always the same temperature where he is?

Back