• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying risks

Bhm1712

Young Bun
i am pondering whether to have my bunny spayed,

im jsut afraid of any risks that might arise. are there any risks other than the obvious one of the anaesthetic? im afraid that if i have her spayed then a perfectly helathy bunny might die, and my fiancee and i would be so very upset

The benefits of getting her spayed far outweigh the risks of not getting her spayed - it is said that 80% of all does over 5 years die from ovarian cancer. Getting her spayed will eliminate that risk. The risk from anaesthetic is very minimal nowadays, something like 0.1% fatality during the spay. I would definitely get her done - my buck is in today for his neuter. Claire x

The main risk is an undiagnosed problem causing a complication during the aneathetic for example liver problems or a heart defect. You can ask your vet to do a blood test first which will check for organ function and as part of the pre-op check they should listen to the heart and lungs.

Check the vet using internal/sutures and glue to close the wound as that prevents complications from the bunny nibbling and opening up the wound. Rabbits should also get painkillers so they are comfortable and don't go off their food. Some vets also give gut mobility drugs routinely.

No one can guarentee the op risk free but with an experienced vet it is very small. Make sure you get a good vet that's experienced with rabbit spays and don't be afriad to ask how many bunnies they've lost - they should have very few and usually have a reason for those that they did e.g. it was done as an emergncy.

Tam

I think the risks are very much dependent upon the vet carrying out the op and, importantly, the aftercare. eg pain relief.

My advice would be to try to find a very good vet, so you can minimise those risks.

i have to do that worrying next week too..ive had onether doe live with me that needed to be spayed.bif came to us ready spayed from the rescue..
it was nerve racking andthye kept her in a day or so cos she wasnt eating..they said its cos she was homesick..as soon as we turned up she was eating..and she was overjoyed to see us..poor oldkibbles..she passed back in 2003.
we had woozle and oscar neutered..bertie came to us already done.
if you donthave her done her beahviour will turn..she wil become so nasty..and more importantly she can develop uterine cancer which usually has spread to mammary glands once its been found.
i agree seek out a bunny savvy vet do this and it will make so much more difference..
im glad that petra will be spaying willow herself for me and i know the hopsitalkeeps small animals in theyre own ward so its more relaxed for the buns etc.
the GA that is available nowadays is so much safer now and the adition of motulity g drugs and pain relief etc is wonderful in the ay ofhelping.
dont doubt doingit..you and your fiancee wil be giving her the best thing for her own helath. and youre sanity..orhave you ver been chased by an irrate territorial unspayed doe? :lol:

Bhm1712 said:
i am pondering whether to have my bunny spayed,

im jsut afraid of any risks that might arise. are there any risks other than the obvious one of the anaesthetic? im afraid that if i have her spayed then a perfectly helathy bunny might die, and my fiancee and i would be so very upset

You don't have a choice. by the time she reach 2 yr. old, 80% of bunny die of urterus cancer if they were not spay.

Back