• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel like a terrible Bunny Mummy :o(

Now that the warmer weather is upon us, I have started to do nightly bum checks on Abby and Bob....but they both absolutely hate being picked up!

Bob is the worst, and because he tends to get muckier, I do sometimes have to hold and clean him, and he looks terrified! I have tried to lay him on his back and put him in the 'trance position' but his poor little heart races and the first chance he gets he flips over and struggles to get away. Luckily I always have him on my lap near ground level. Abby nudges and nips me until she can get away and then they hate me for the rest of the evening :cry:

Is there anything I can do....I know that I have to pick them up to check them, but I don't want them mistrusting me. They have never been 'cuddle bunnies' and do not get picked up regularly, as they prefer to come up and nudge or lick me on their own terms!

Any help would be appreciated, as it's very traumatic for all of us!

bunnies hearts race all the time, it may just be that you notice it more when they are on their back..........just a thought, might not be as scared as you first thought-

give them their dinner / food after so its like they are looking orward to it every time and they are rewarded maybe

How is Bob getting muck? Is it running around the garden mucky or squidgy poop mucky? If it's the later then it would be a good idea to try and work out what's causing that so it can be stopped and then it will reduce the stress at bum check time.

Jemma's suggestion of associating it with good things is an excellent idea.

There is some advise on picking buns up here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Rabbit's like to feel secure so hold them firmly and tight to your body.

Tam

my two hate being picked up for bum checks too i do it by leaving them on the floor and put one hand across their shoulders to hold them still then quickly lift their bottoms an oinch or so off the floor just to see their butt area, it doesnt stress my two out half as much. they also get a bowl of veges and a bowl of orchard grass when i have finished bum checks :D

SOAD said:
Most of mine hate it too.

than again cant say i blame them would you want someone peering at your bum area whilst you were trying to eat your tea? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Liam isn't too bad to pick up once i catch him, but Mishy is a bit scatty and stuggles like mad to get away which upsets me so i know how you feel. I use a towel which makes it a bit easier and quicker, i pop the towel over their back and kind of scoop them up that way, Mishy seems to calm down quicker when i use this technique, although she does still hate it :lol: :)

I clipped Rusty's nails the other day and felt terrible because he looked sooo scared! Put him down and left him for a minute and then he was binkying. Even though I thought his heart was racing like made, it was obviously me being paranoid too!

Thanks for your posts everyone :D

Not sure if it's because Bob is longer furred around is rear that he gets slightly mucky...and I mean it is only slight, e.g tiny streaks on fur....he eats exactly the same as Abby. I just panic a bit I guess with fly season upon us.

They are on excel, but only a small handful per day, with mostly hay and a tiny bit of veg in the evening.

Thanks for the tips everyone....I will try them out :D

Back