• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

floppy rabbit syndrome

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
After I came back fom the shops I found my youngest rabitt (12 weeks) limp and floppy in his run. I picked him up and he was really unresponsive so I thought he had broken his back. Iv just come back from the vets who took his temp (fine) and his heart rate was fine. The vets said there are a number of reasons why he may be like this.

Hes given me science recovery to feed him and has treated him for e cunilii??! (sp). The other thing he mentioned was 'floppy rabbit syndrome'

Iv never heard of this before and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these symptoms. Im just looking after molly for his head abscess and I really don't think I can cope with any more ill bunnies

Any help appreciated

xxxx

Potassium Defieciency can be a cause of FRS. Can you get hold of some Fresh Tomato Juice or get Bun to eat Some Tomato or some Banana? Both Toms and Banana are a good source of Potassium.

Did the Vet prescribe Panacur if EC is suspected?

Janex

yea he prescribed that for him to give once a day. Do they recover from FRS? Its very distressing for me to go and see him at the mo :(

xx

suzy_d said:
yea he prescribed that for him to give once a day. Do they recover from FRS? Its very distressing for me to go and see him at the mo :(

xx

Yes, recovery is most certainly possible but intensive nursing care is required. Is baby Bun eating and drinking? If not it is essential he is syringe fed and really would benefit from either IV or sub-cutaneous rehydration therapy (the fluids used for this contain Potassium)
Do not be affraid to call the Vet again and ask if baby Bun should be admitted for intensive care.

I really hope he makes a good recovery. It can take 3-4 days but it is possible.

Janex

no hes is not eating or drinking hes can barely lift his head :( Iv been syringing him with science recovery every hour, shall I syringe water also? Can I syringe him so mushed up veg also or should I just stick to recovery?

xx

suzy_d said:
no hes is not eating or drinking hes can barely lift his head :( Iv been syringing him with science recovery every hour, shall I syringe water also? Can I syringe him so mushed up veg also or should I just stick to recovery?

xx

I would phone your Emergency Vet and ask for Bun to be admitted for intensive care. You can syringe feed him but really he needs IV/Sub-cutaneous therapy too.
If getting him back to a Vet is impossible then try liquidising some Banana or Tomato and add this to the Syringe feeds.
Is Baby Bun indoors with you? He needs to be and he will need hourly feeds/fluids throughout the night. If he feels cold to the touch then he needs some form of additional heat such as a Snugglesafe or a Hot Water Bottle wrapped in a towel. He will need attention throughout the night.

Janex

Under a friends advice when my bun had this, not only did I treat for FRS with banana and tomato but also gave the contents of a vitamin E capsule :wink: floppy rabbit syndrome buns will usually respond to the potassium and vitamin E within 24 hours and you will notice a difference :wink: :wink:

I also had my bun X rayed to rule out spinal injury and he was treated with metacam for any possible pain, baytril in case of an internal abscess and panacur in case of EC as well as treating for floppy rabbit syndrome with banana's, tomatoes and vitamin E :) he was hopping and mobile within 48 hours and improving every day :)

Floppy rabbit syndrome is more common in baby rabbits but can happen at any age :)

Hope your baby bun is OK

hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies, Im afraid to say my baby bunny died this morning :( I stayed up with him all night and fed him every hour but he started having convulsions then he died.

Im so upset as I don't really know what he had.

Thanks for all your replies and advice

Suzy xx

suzy_d said:
hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies, Im afraid to say my baby bunny died this morning :( I stayed up with him all night and fed him every hour but he started having convulsions then he died.

Im so upset as I don't really know what he had.

Thanks for all your replies and advice

Suzy xx

I am so sorry :cry: :cry:

Janex

Back