• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking up rabbits

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi, Im having a little problem picking Paddy up. Ive had him a month now and at the beginning he was a little bit of a handful getting him out the hutch but it only ever took less than a minute. In the past week its been a real challenge to get him out of his hutch and I feel awful. Once he is out he loves his cuddles and being held, sitting on your knee and running after you but trying to pick him up again and he runs. Today I went out to pop him in his run and it was impossible I felt so bad as he was getting really scared and in the end I gave up and sat kinda in his hutch while he sat on my knee. His run isnt attached to his hutch so I cant just open his door and let him wander I have to take him out, does anyone else have this trouble?? or any ideas?! Thanks
Charlotte

maybe use a pet carrier and teach him to hop into it himself that way you dont have to pick him up. Most rabbits dont really like being picked up so if hes one of them then i dont think theres much chance he will ever really LIKE being held you may be able to get him to tolerate it in time though.

3 of my 4 hate being picked up and I only ever do it when it's really neccessary. Their run is attatched to the run so it's not too much of a problem for me but the carrier is a good idea

I use a pet carrier to transfer all of mine from the shed into the house at night.
Tilda likes being picked up, Brambles likes a cuddle but not being carried. All of the others dont really like be picked up but will tolerate it.

Buu has always hated being picked up so I only lift her when I really need to, like if she needs to go to the vets or something. Its not a problem at all not lifting her she gets back into her run when its bedtime and follows me into the house when I call her in. I dont even lift her to check her over I give her a bunny massage and then she just flops and lets me look at her ears, nails and bum.

Thanks everyone. Paddy loves his pet carrier that much its become his fav toy haha! it took me 2 seconds if that to get him out of his hutch and I think I got extra cuddles for not picking him up, he defo liked me more!!
Thanks

Charlotte
carrier1.jpg

My buns sometimes run off, but they don't tend to run for long before they give up and let me pick them up without any fuss! :)

With time and experience I've got loads better at picking mine up - I no longer get ripped to shreds :lol:

Back