• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit in p@h

unalakey

Mama Doe
Just been to Pets at Home for some bunny supplies, had a look at the bunnies they all looked fine, then in the old bird enclosure there was a little nethie on his own with a sign saying 15.00 for this rabbit due to needing his teeth clipping regularly! I just hope whoever buys him does stick to this, do you think P@H will make someone sign a contract to this? He was lovely. If only :love: How much does it cost for regular teeth clipping?

I dont really know what to say about that, but it doesnt sound right does it! Petshops dont do homechecks so any nutter could buy this bun and not give a damn about his teeth....... :x

As I understand it their licence to sell animals states they cannot sell an animal with a known health problem :?

Poor Bun :cry:

Janex

Should i report it? what would happen to the rabbit then, if it got sent back to the breeder? Maybe p@h can sell it because they are warning peole that this bunny has problems, is it very expensive to take on a bun with these problems, i cant do this although i would love to. I have my hands full with my two plus four guinea pigs.

unalakey said:
Should i report it? what would happen to the rabbit then, if it got sent back to the breeder? Maybe p@h can sell it because they are warning peole that this bunny has problems, is it very expensive to take on a bun with these problems, i cant do this although i would love to. I have my hands full with my two plus four guinea pigs.

Breeder? No, as far as I am aware, they now source all their animals from a great big mill, any wonder why this poor bun and many others have teeth problems! :cry:

I don't condone buying from them or any store, maybe see if you can get him for free? Regular teeth trimming can be expensive, for me it cost £40 for Clove, and my vets is considered cheap. It may be required every 6 weeks, really ts hard to know.

Edited to say: Oops didn't realise you couldn't take him, I don't know what to do, poor bun.

Perhaps he is being sold under their new adoption scheme?

As to the cost, it can vary wildly- a vet I went to charged only £5 to do teeth, but some charge considerably more. It depends on how bad they are as to how often they needed doing- it was 3 weeks in the case of one of my old rabbits.

Thanks Mandy, the store i went to was the Bolton one and they are not listed as one of the stores participating in the 'Adoption scheme' so i am not sure, i will try to call in this week and make more enquiries about him. I just hope whoever gets him gives him the care he needs, i also wonder what will happen to him if he is not sold :(

Pringle said:
Mine costs about £52 to get his teeth done :eek:

Thats for his back teeth though isnt it with a GA?

I was just talking about burring front teeth without GA.
That price is still quite excessive though- my vet charges £24 for molars done under a GA.

£60 for Fiver to have his molars burred under GA :( fortunatley he has only needed one so far.

:shock: OMG cant see many people taking him on with those prices :( On the sign it said his teeth needed 'clipping' is this the same as 'Burring', oh i am worried about him falling into the wrong hands :(

No it wouldn't be anywhere near those prices- those are for a GA on his BACK teeth. If they are talking about 'clipping' then that would be the front teeth. I would think it would cost around £5- £15 to do his front teeth, but obviously it will vary.

Burring is filing the teeth down, clipping isn't really reccomended now as it can shatter the teeth if not done properly and it can leave sharp edges, but every vet I have seen still clip.

Jack's-Jane said:
As I understand it their licence to sell animals states they cannot sell an animal with a known health problem :?

Yep, absolutely right!
I really do hope that they're an adoption store, and that the list is just a bit out of date...if they aren't an adoption store, then i've got no idea what they think they're doing! :shock:

unalakey said:
there was a little nethie on his own with a sign saying 15.00 for this rabbit due to needing his teeth clipping regularly! I just hope whoever buys him does stick to this, do you think P@H will make someone sign a contract to this?

Yes, if somebody adopts an animal under the adoption scheme then they have to sign a contract - this details the reasons it's being rehomed and anything that will need attention (in this case, teeth!) plus a clause that states that the animal must be returned to the store if their circumstances change and cannot keep it or provide the necessary treatment.

I think someone needs to check this out, really dont want this bunny getting homed with a berk who just thinks they are getting something cheap! :evil:

I will call in ASAP this week and tru to find out if this is through the Adoption scheme, although i do go in once a week and there has been no mention of them participating in the scheme and it did not state this on the sign just that this nethie had teeth problems and needed his teeth clipping so was 15.00 :shock: instead of the usual 25 pounds.

Picking up on earlier point, I just wondered how the contract is 'policed'? Does P@H follow up on these cases?

Back