• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help.

mit

Mama Doe
Hi Guys,

Probably don’t want to hear what I have to say, but i really do need your help on this one because i wasn’t to sure where else to turn to.

A month ago my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and last week started treatment with Chemo which she is having to go to Charing Cross to have every two weeks. One of the main side affects with Chemo is that it dramatically lowers your white blood cell count resulting in the patient being VERY venerable to catching any type of virus, infection or bacteria.

And what I was hoping you guys would be able to help me with is to locate three products which are up to hospital/veterinary surgery disinfectant level.

1. The first is a cleaning disinfectant that i can use in the litter trays and the shed/hutch to clean it out.

2. A disinfectant hand gel, like the ones you get in hospitals. Which I can use after contact with the buns.

3. Also a disinfectant spray with I can spray on myself and my cloths which would kill any all the bacteria’s before re-entering the house after see the buns.

I really do hope people can set a side the differences to help me out.

Mit
xx

HI. So sorry to hear about your mum and I send her all the best for a good recovery.When one of my rabbits contracted ringworm, my vet advised me to use a solution called F10 to clean the hutch and litter trays. It's what they use to clean their treatment rooms and operating theatres, as well as the examination tables between each animal. It kills everything! I can't remember how much it cost, but the dilution was 1:500! So it is very strong.

Oh and for a hand gel, there is a hand gel that Leslie Ash has marketed. Trying to think of the name of it.... will look it up.

Edit: It's called 'Matron'.

Sorry to hear about your mum :(

I always keep a bottle of hibiscrub by the sink which is great for washing your hands and an cuts/scratches.
You can buy a 500ml bottle for around £3 from most saddlery shops :wink:

I've just read the leaflet that came with my Virkon, which says it is suitable for health care institutions and food hygiene.

Hello Mit.
So sorry to hear about your mother.

For disinfecting agree with others..Virkon.
The hand gel used in hospitals is available in larger branches of Boots..and I'm sure can be found on the internet.

Tell you mum to stay positive..my mother has had breast cancer twice..first time was 15 years ago..she recovered well both times and lives life to the full.

Hi Mit

I used hibiscrub in hospital when I was a nurse to clean hands. Have you asked your vet, they'd probably be able to recommend something. I wouldn't have thought there was much risk unless your rabbits have an infection, just keep them scupulously clean and washing hands is the main thing after you've dealt with them

Sorry to hear about your mum, I hope she copes with treatment and makes a good recovery

Thank you guys for your kind words & support for my mum. I will pass them on to her.

Been reading up on the F10 Disinfectant, which looks Super. Check it out:
www.f10biocare.co.uk

What do you guys think?

With the Virkon, i understand that you conrat in to 1:250 for cleaning and 1:100 to spray on the rabbits and can i spray it on myself?? :? Is that right?

The Gel is not goint to be too hard to get hold of.

mit
xx

I think the main thing to concentrate on is the litter tray. My vet told me that EC can be transmitted to humans, but only causes problems in immuno-compromised people (eg with HIV). Not sure whether that's relevant to chemo patients.

Hope all goes well.

SarahP said:
I think the main thing to concentrate on is the litter tray. My vet told me that EC can be transmitted to humans, but only causes problems in immuno-compromised people (eg with HIV). Not sure whether that's relevant to chemo patients.

Hope all goes well.

Whats EC? Is it E Coli? And Virkon would kill that off? Or would the F10 be better?

m
xx

Been reading up on Virkon and what germs it kills. Couldnt kind the mention of E Cuniculi, but i take it it does kill it off?

mit
xx

No, it doesn't mention it, but as long as your mum doesn't come into contact with any rabbit urine she should be fine.

Do you think i can use F10 & Virkon at the same time. Not mixing them. Just use Virkon first then clean with F10 to be extra safe.

Apart from E Cuniculi is there any other things humans can catch from Rabbits?

Sorry about all the questions.

mit
xx

I should have thought that either would be effective on its own, and as long as you are diligent with the hibiscrub for handwashing after handling the buns you should be OK. There isn't much danger from healthy buns to humans as far as I know.. Probably far less risk than just walking out in the street and being exposed to unknown viruses. Has your mum had a word with her oncologist about it?

If i was to go with Virkon what should the ratio be? 1:450 would that fine for cleaning litters trays and the shed? Not sure if i read somewhere that i could spray a mix of 1:100 on the buns to keep them clean to? Also does any one have any experiance in using F10 as it sounds amazing!

Gonna get the Hibiscrub and the Purrell Gel which is use in HNS Hospitals.

m
xx

I use F10. I dilute it as per instruction and put it in a spray. I use a normal pet disinfectant every day for the litter trays and once a week I use F10 on the trays and the entire hutch. It just gets sprayed on and left to dry while they are out in the garden run.

Do you get your F10 from f10biocare.co.uk? Is it safe to spray on the buns? Can they be in the shed while i clean using it?

mit
xx

Back