• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is a bit gross but.......

Do you do bunnys anal Glands?

• If theres a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regularly

• Never- thats gross

• I dont- its not necissary

• Whats an anal gland???????????

• Total voters

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Ive been thinking about this anal gland cleaning.

I have never done it and really dont want to. I think i would be sick.

Just want to know who cleans their buns there- and is it necisary?

Must i really do it- or only if theres a problem.

Gross :(

O i get it. I check their bums everyday for flystrike... and opal has a lot of fluff in that area so its hard. But so far i havnt had need to wipe their bum so to speak. you only need do it if they have a mucky bum

I think she means clean the smelly substance from their scent glands which are near their bottoms.

Apparently they smell absolutely grim. I wouldn't know, I probably couldn't find them if I tried!

I don't think it's necessary, so I wouldn't do it unless it was causing some sort of problem?

I havent had to clean the new buns, but my old Dazy had to have hers regularly cleaned, they got very mucky! As for it stinking....well its not pleasant, but I've smelled worse things, it reminds me of REALLY REALLY REALLY, BAD, B.O! :eek: Fortunately thats something I dont get to smell much either!

from binkybunny.com

ANAL SCENT GLANDS (EEEYUCK!)
These are little slits located on either side of the genital mound. They are pretty well hidden, but once you’ve found them, you gently open and “WHEW Stinky!” – But don't worry, the smell quickly disappears.

This is where that disposable cup filled with lukewarm water and q-tips come in handy. I just place it right next to me and dip the q-tip into water and gently swab out the area.

Check every month. You'll soon find that some bunnies build up a waxy substance very quickly while others only need cleaning a few times a year.

My mum's dog sometimes has to have them done (tends to be if he's gotten a tad overweight).

We always take him to the vet, and the smell is vile, and it lingers.

It smells like rotting fish oil!

Mine bunnies ones do not smell - i discovered they had them this week - nearly panicked thinking they needed to go to the vets for an infection or something but they didn't smell. :lol: :oops:

My rabbits vary, from really clean to a bit gunky. I do check them regularly just in case with this warm weather but only clean them if they get really gunky or a bit crusty :mrgreen:

Yuk i let them clean each others ha ha

I think would only wipe them with a damp cloth if abosulutly nessecary. Im not into cotton bud thing thats grim.

I only do Squidgy's, as he's not so good at grooming himself. The others have no problems, although I have cleaned Bobby's out once, after his neuter.

I didn't know bunnies had anal glands. I used to do my dogs' anal glands and the smell is so putrid it knocks you sick :mrgreen:

How would you know if they needed doing on a bunny? I don't really feel confident enough to go poking them around unless I absolutely had to :oops:

it tells you in most pet books how to do it, or if you look online.

Looks simple enough if you have a still rabbit. Groomers will do it for you anyway

Back