• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dusty - getting over stasis, but still sluggish/bloaty

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Dusty isn't doing too badly now, and her gut is moving, eatings lots etc. But, she still isn't 100%, poos smaller than usual etc. I just gave her a tummy rub as her tummy felt bloaty.

She's currently on Maxalon and Metacam, but I'm trying to cut the doses down. Do you think Infacol might help? The other thing I haven't tried yet is probiotic, as they won't drink their water if they have probiotic in it. I could try syringing it though.

You could try infacol.

It does take a few days to get back to normal after stasis, although if she still seems a bit bloaty you may need to take her back if she doesn't improve.

You could try sprinkling a bit of probiotic onto some strong tasting food. I usually sprinkle it on a bit of organic dried apricot because it hides the probiotic taste.

Thanks. :) I can't understand it really, as my piggies adore probiotic in their water - makes them drink more! :lol:

Just a thought, but Pets at Home do a Pro-biotic powder which has glucose in it too (i think) and my buns seem to like the taste of that. Might be a nicer taste to her than the Bio-Lapis stuff?

Thanks - my bunnies seem to object to their water tasting of anything though! :lol: They don't like echinacea in it, or anything. I sprinkled some probiotic on some veggies for them this morning and *sniff sniff sniff* later, a little bit got eaten, but mostly left in disgust! :roll:

not sure what people on here think of it but i got some 'carrot juice' (from P@H) which goes into the water in a very weak solution (i made it weaker than the recomendation) i used to encourage duchess to drink after she had stasis and it did helpi also put her water in a bowl (not sure what yours have) and she was happier drinking form that too

might be worth a try :D

Could you sneak a little bit of apple juice in the water too to hide the smell of the pro-biotic? Got to think hard to outwit the buns!!

Hi there. Have sometimes found that lots of warm fluids seem to help. Takes my little Sumi usually a week to get back to normal. Very worrying times

Fiona x

Back