• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks?

willowflower

Warren Scout
dillion has developed red marks on his back feet
(bare with me it's hard to explain and i cant get a photo)
it's on what i would call his heel is that his hocks?
just now it looks just like a graze not weeping or anything
was just wondering really if there's anything i should do or if there is some kind of cream i couls use to soften it up? (would that make it worse?) it's not bothering him at all but i tend to go in to a panic
leona & buns

have you fed him any red fruit? Thumper had red marks and I realised it was where he had stood on a strawberry! :shock: :lol: but his feet are hocks, think a trip to the vets is in order if it isnt food related or wee as rabbits wee can be red! Think they can give something for them :)

i gave him some tomato but it's actually under the fur sort of have to lift the fur on his feet to see started with just one of his back feet now it's both like i say he's not worried by thema nd there dry but yep think i'll take him to the vet first thing monday

Some rabbits do have pink hocks and it's nothing to worry about. The concern is when they start looking sore, cracked or bleed. I got some cream from Pets at Home for small animals sore skin. Honestly cant remember the name of it which is not useful, sorry, but it smells quite strong and is in a little tub about 2" tall.

Sore hocks look like this

pododermatitis.jpg

Janex

capel said:
Here's another taken last Summer :
DSC01272.jpg
[/img]

Oddly, just one of Audrey's hocks is looking like that again, although the area is about half of that. I'm putting sudocream on once a day at the mo, not sure what else to do :(

How are Floss's now?

Hi Mandy. Here's a picture of them last Autumn. I put vetbed on the floor of the hutch, the vet prescribed Flamazine( an ointment used for human burns victims) and she was on grass during daylight hours. They cleared up beautifully. However, they are starting to get a bit threadbare again due to being indoors on the carpet for the past few months. Now that she's back outside and the weather's good enough for her to be on the grass most of the day I'm hoping to see an improvement pretty soon.
DSC01672.jpg
[/img]

yep thats what they look like only you cant really see them through the fur on his feet i've got sudocream in the house i'll give it a go
is it ok if he licks this? think thats the reason for the sore hocks he's always sucking his feet he's on slabs and grass might invest in some vet bed as well going to take him on monday to vet just to make sure there not infected

Do all rabbits naturally have a small bald patch on their 'heels'???? Just a pea sized area which you see when you part the fur, that doesnt look sore?? :?

I think so...it's usually covered by a flap of hair..or have I just imagined reading that somewhere..time for Jane to gallop in to my rescue!!! :lol:

i didn't know that but the area on his foot is about the size of a 20p peice
i'll be so embarassed if i've been worrying about nothing :oops: :lol:

willowflower said:
yep thats what they look like only you cant really see them through the fur on his feet i've got sudocream in the house i'll give it a go
is it ok if he licks this? think thats the reason for the sore hocks he's always sucking his feet he's on slabs and grass might invest in some vet bed as well going to take him on monday to vet just to make sure there not infected
I think it's oK if he licks it..just put a very thin layer on though. If the area isn't weeping or bleeding I doubt there'll be an infection. Floss was always nibbling at her hocks so she was on Metacam as well just in case the constant nibbling was because it was painful. My vet believes in painkillers for bunsters, and it's also an anti-inflammatory. She was on a very small dose..just one drop per day(or was it two?? can't remember!)

willowflower said:
i didn't know that but the area on his foot is about the size of a 20p peice
i'll be so embarassed if i've been worrying about nothing :oops: :lol:
That's quite a big area. Anyway, I'm a great believer in having the vet check things out just in case..no need to be embarassed at all. Better safe than sorry. If you suspect something needs treatment better to have it checked out before the problem gets worse.

yeah think i'll get it checked as he keeps licking at probably my fault as i pointed it out to him :oops: but it is for all the world like a skint knee on a child thats healed all bumpy if you get what i mean so just to be safe i'll get it checked
thanks for all the in put

Actually from your description, it sounds as though the area is just calloused, and therefore is nothing to worry about. Is your bunster a Rex? It's only if the skin is broken and weeping that you need to worry about it. Just keep an eye on it , and if it does look as though the skin is breaking down try to adapt the bun's living quarters to give a soft area for him to jump around in.

no he's not a rex but he's a farily big bun (vet reckons X giant of some kind) got some vet bed going to put it in the corner he lies in see if that helps have to take ava to be weighed on mon anyway so just take him a long as well

My Mhairi was on the verge of getting sore hocks, hers were red and scabby (if that makes sense). Her run was on slabs and that was causing the problem. Now I have rubber matting in the run and this has sorted the problem out. :D

Back