• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

allergies?

mumofthumps

Alpha Buck
Hiya is it possible for bunnies to be allergic to hay/straw/sawdust? Lily has been sneezing we went to the vets and have baytril for her, the vet said it may be because of the stress of moving house etc.So best to nip it in the bud. She is eating pooing drinking all the same i cleaned the hutch out last night put what i do for thumper layer of newspaper sawdust then straw and then loads of hay. She is still sneezing and its been 4 days now. Could it be the sawdust? Thank you xx

Just sneezing - the vet checked her chest and said it was lovely and very clear sneezing seems to be the only symptom :?

sometimes my bunny sneezes, but it means nothing. It could even be the air from the circulation of the house, or some small seedhead powder get into his nose for a short moment

mumofthumps said:
I know it just seems more frequent than when thumper sneezes, she has sneezed 3 times in the last hour :?

Does she have a snotty nasal discharge or are the insides of her front paws wet and sticky (from wiping her nose)
If there is a white/yellow nasal discharge that is indicative of infection. If the discharge is clear, or there is none at all an allergy is a possibility.

I would certainly avoid using wood shavings/sawdust and only use good quality dust free hay.

Janex :)

JUST checked and there is no discharge on her nose but she did sneeze when my hand went hear her maybe she is allergic to me :cry: Ill keep with the baytril and see if it clears up maybe she just needs to be on it a little longer :D

Does Lily have any discharge from her nose - does it look wet? There's a condition called snuffles which is an upper respiratory infection - it can happen in times of stress (i.e moving home), changes in in the weather etc and starts as sneezing/discharge from the nose, but should clear up with a course of Baytril (which you already have from your vet). As the vet has checked her chest and it's clear this is a really good sign, but I would go back to the vet if the symptoms haven't cleared by the time you have finished the course. If it's just the sneezing it may be an allergy and I would try to change one thing at a time to see if anything particular is causing the sneezing fits (i.e it could be the hay, or sawdust or even the pellets she is eating).
I hope that you get to the bottom of it soon :)

Back