• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

NEWBiE HERE >> With Questions =)

I have this rabbit since last July that I got for free from this store I work at, Petland. I got him because he was a surrendered and the store tried to sell him once only to have him returned due to his aggressive behavior. We kept him in the back after that and none of us really went near his cage because he'd growl, bite, charge and attack you. It just happened that one day someone went to take him out with a towel & holding him an arm-length way to put him down in this fenced area while I'd clean the cage. When I was done she wasn't there so I was pretty nervous to get the rabbit back in there so I played with the towel a bit with him to get him closer as I WASN'T gonna step in to get him charging at me!! He just kept growling and charging at the towel till I was able to successfully pick him up and held him in the "baby position" in my arm. {with his back laying with my arms supporting him} and the most amazing thing happened, he was actually so calm!!! He didn't even try to move, he was pretty happy being there with the towel wrapped around him. We were able to clip his long nails too! After doing that few more times, I was begged to take him home seeing as he loved being with me and not around others.

The thing is, he STILL growls, charge, bites and attack everyone, including me. I just got so used to it and not scare of it to be able to hold him. He is a COMPLETE sweetheart when I hold him, barely even moves and I can hold him for a good hour without him getting fed up and biting me. It's only when he's on the ground, either in backyard or run when he'll do all that thing I mention above..

My question is, how can I help with him to reduce his growling and biting? I've tried the "high shriek" and saying "NO" firmly whenever he bites and it does work for that day, then he'll forget about it the next time. I've noticed tho he nibs lightly now and not as hard before but I'd wish he would be a happy bunny and not growl and charge all the time at people. If you put anything near him, he'll knock it out of your hands.. growling too.

Any advices & suggestions? I've also searched up a lot about aggressive rabbits and none of the stuff really works on him, it'll work for the 1st day and 2nd then he 'forgets' bout it and goes back to doing all that.

P0LKAD0TCAT said:
He just kept growling and charging at the towel till I was able to successfully pick him up and held him in the "baby position" in my arm. {with his back laying with my arms supporting him} and the most amazing thing happened, he was actually so calm!!! He didn't even try to move, he was pretty happy being there with the towel wrapped around him. We were able to clip his long nails too! After doing that few more times, I was begged to take him home seeing as he loved being with me and not around others.

I went to a rabbit behabiour talk and the reason they don't move when you hold them from the ground in a 'baby' position i was told was because they are playing dead as they would when they are prey for an animal in it mouth from the ground they freeze.

Hi and welcome!

is your bun neutered? if not this could well be the reason for his behaviour (hormones!!!!!!!!!!!!) The best thing for both of you (!) would be for him to have the snip. He would be much happier x

emilyarc said:
P0LKAD0TCAT said:
He just kept growling and charging at the towel till I was able to successfully pick him up and held him in the "baby position" in my arm. {with his back laying with my arms supporting him} and the most amazing thing happened, he was actually so calm!!! He didn't even try to move, he was pretty happy being there with the towel wrapped around him. We were able to clip his long nails too! After doing that few more times, I was begged to take him home seeing as he loved being with me and not around others.

I went to a rabbit behabiour talk and the reason they don't move when you hold them from the ground in a 'baby' position i was told was because they are playing dead as they would when they are prey for an animal in it mouth from the ground they freeze.

oh yeah I know that, he wasn't that far back tho :) More like sitting laying back thing?

When u hold rabbit in a baby position ive always been told this is kinda like they are hypmotised they are calm and feel relaxed this will be why he is like that, have you tried saying "no" and that for a few weeks but keeping it up and being pretty strict with him? kind of like children you cant just say it a couple of times you have to repeat over and over, i think the snips a good idea as wel as this will calm him down hopefully, You could always aswell get him a girlfriend? this may make him more calmer and friendlier again he would need to be neutered though. Good Luck xxx

montyflossy said:
Hi and welcome!

is your bun neutered? if not this could well be the reason for his behaviour (hormones!!!!!!!!!!!!) The best thing for both of you (!) would be for him to have the snip. He would be much happier x

I am not sure, seeing as he was surrendered and the people that was there when he was surrendered aren't there anymore. Will it help a lot? Since I have heard from some that it didn't change that much. I will go to the vet to find out tho for sure, thanks =)

Pringle said:
When u hold rabbit in a baby position ive always been told this is kinda like they are hypmotised they are calm and feel relaxed this will be why he is like that, have you tried saying "no" and that for a few weeks but keeping it up and being pretty strict with him? kind of like children you cant just say it a couple of times you have to repeat over and over, i think the snips a good idea as wel as this will calm him down hopefully, You could always aswell get him a girlfriend? this may make him more calmer and friendlier again he would need to be neutered though. Good Luck xxx

Yep, I've been saying "No" firmly every single time he bites, it helped with his 'nibbling' but not bite just yet. Hmm, I will consider getting him a girlfriend, Im just afraid he'll scare her. Would it depend on the age too? Since I seriously don't know how old he is at all. =/ Plus for sure to get neutered before bonding with another rabbit.

P0LKAD0TCAT said:
Pringle said:

Yep, I've been saying "No" firmly every single time he bites, it helped with his 'nibbling' but not bite just yet. Hmm, I will consider getting him a girlfriend, Im just afraid he'll scare her. Would it depend on the age too? Since I seriously don't know how old he is at all. =/ Plus for sure to get neutered before bonding with another rabbit.

You would have to make sure you got him neutered before getting him a girlfriend, maybe phone a few rescues to see about girl buns for him? they should also be able to help with bonding the two as well... Maybe this is what he needs,, im not an expert but its always worth a shot. i`m sure if you stay patient with him he will be fine.. maybe just an insecure lil bun x

Pringle said:
P0LKAD0TCAT said:
Pringle said:

You would have to make sure you got him neutered before getting him a girlfriend, maybe phone a few rescues to see about girl buns for him? they should also be able to help with bonding the two as well... Maybe this is what he needs,, im not an expert but its always worth a shot. i`m sure if you stay patient with him he will be fine.. maybe just an insecure lil bun x

I will. =)
Thanks for advice!

P0LKAD0TCAT said:
Pringle said:
P0LKAD0TCAT said:
Pringle said:

I will. =)
Thanks for advice!

No problem,, good luck and keep me up to date to see how he gets on :D

Neutering would definitely be a good idea :D
Another possibility is that he may have poor eyesight and so is unsure of anyone/anything approaching him.
It could also be fear agression due to poor handling/bad treatment/no handling in the past. If its this then lots of patience will help. Try and offer him tasty nibbles when you approach him so he associates hands with good things and just take things slowly but spend as much time as possible with him.
He may also be helped by having a speyed female to live with - appart from enjoying the company, it may help him to gain confidence :D

Spacegirl said:
Neutering would definitely be a good idea :D
Another possibility is that he may have poor eyesight and so is unsure of anyone/anything approaching him.
It could also be fear agression due to poor handling/bad treatment/no handling in the past. If its this then lots of patience will help. Try and offer him tasty nibbles when you approach him so he associates hands with good things and just take things slowly but spend as much time as possible with him.
He may also be helped by having a speyed female to live with - appart from enjoying the company, it may help him to gain confidence :D

Haha, that reminds me, I do give him treat and actually can by hand without having him biting my hand off, but it's so hillarious when he comes back for the 2nd treat, coming on my leg and growling for more. =P I know, way to get him calm haha! It's cute tho and thanks for those advices. I do think something happened to him in the past to make him this way.

P0LKAD0TCAT said:
montyflossy said:
Hi and welcome!

I am not sure, seeing as he was surrendered and the people that was there when he was surrendered aren't there anymore. Will it help a lot? Since I have heard from some that it didn't change that much. I will go to the vet to find out tho for sure, thanks =)

I agree, you need to find out whether he's been neutered or not - from what you've said I say at a guess he isn't. Boy buns are easy to check for neutering. Next time you are holding him, like a baby, have a quick look between his back legs. Intact boys will have two testicles, neutered buns don't. If he isn't neutered I'd recommend you book him in, it will benefit both of you as his hormones will calm down which will be a relief for him and as a result hopefully his behaviour will improve too. Don't expect it to happen immediately tho, it can take up to 6weeks for their hormones to disappear.

Back