• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering French Lop boys - How soon?

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! Can someone help me with regard to the age of sexual maturity in my French Lop? I've asked a couple of vets, but to be honest I'm not confident they are that knowledgeable specifically about French Lops. Humphrey is four months old today (born 20 December 2006). For the past two days he has started running around our legs, grunting and attacking our legs when he is out free-range in the garden. Before this he was no problem at all and I'm hoping it is just hormones kicking in and he will calm down after his neuter. I've tried to see whether his plums have dropped yet, but couldn't see any. He's also started spraying! My Vets told me that they would want to wait until he's six months before neutering him. Is this correct in your opinions? What age have your Frenchies been castrated please?

If we have to wait another two months, do you think I should let him out free-range still, as I don't want him to get into a habit of doing this, or should I just confine him to his run in the garden? Any advice would be really appreciated and any experiences of neutering Frenchies. (My ankle is still really sore!!) When we are just holding him, he's fine - it's just when he's free range the problems begin. Thank-you! Claire x

neautering french lops

my vets will do it at 4 months providing the testicles are there ive got a british giant who they neautered at 12 weeks because he was pestering his mate but he was fully developed, it really depends on the bunnies development and the vet

Thanks, I've just rung the Vet. He will do it on Monday, but will obviously check his plums have descended first. I'm going to have the tear duct flush done at the same time, as his eye is still a bit watery. Have you had a tear duct flush done on your bunnies? Claire x

minilops said:
Thanks, I've just rung the Vet. He will do it on Monday, but will obviously check his plums have descended first. I'm going to have the tear duct flush done at the same time, as his eye is still a bit watery. Have you had a tear duct flush done on your bunnies? Claire x

We had lola's tear ducts flushed once a week for a month. She is a frenchie too, think they are prone to problems due to their deep set eyes. She was ok with it though. Vibes for Humphrey though.

As for neutering - 4 months is fine if their testicles have dropped. It can take 4 weeks for their hormones to calm down though - Zeb was still a wild peeing monster for ages afterwards although he's now much calmer :)

Frenchies can be a problem as they are classed as a giant breed so they can mature anything from 3-6 months, if you're not confident about your vets knowledge, find a better bunny savvy one. Good luck. He'll get over it surprisingly quickly.

Thanks for your help. I'm still a bit concerned as to whether his plums have dropped yet, but if they have I assume it's OK to go ahead with his neuter on Monday, from what you've said. As long as his plums are down, there's no reason to wait? Is this correct? Not sure if my ankles can stand any more nasty bites! :lol: Claire x

Hi

Some bunnies mature quicker than others so it is really hard to say, but a Vet would be able to advise you on the right time.

Blimey! Hope he can be deplummed on Monday - he's just attacked my legs again! Do you think I should confine him to his run until after his op. I don't want him to learn this behaviour. Claire x

petra says as soon as testesticles have dropped or as soon as they become a pest! our dwarf lop doe years ago was done at 4 months instead of 6 as she was having phantom pregnancy with our cat! :shock:
and was super agressive!
woozle was neutered at six months on the dot but could have been done almsot 3 weeks earlier but he had a terrible urninary tract infection..he had to finish his meds and be fully recovered.
Willow our frnehcie is off to be spayed on 2rd may and shes just over 4 months old shes having to wait ashses had her vhd jab 2 weeks after having her myxi jab or shed have done her a fornight ago or even before that..so i guess 12 weeks seems to be rightdepending on the bunny i guess. i know her hormones are kicking in cos shes lost her toilet trai ing again..she still fills her tray up with pee and poo but also her cage corner and her blankets and has destroyed her hay racks! and when running round downstairs pheweee musky girl..scent glands are clean just horny bun smell!
shes not agressive..YET im hoping itll wait tillshes done but does are a bigger prob behaviour wise than bucks..they dont fully lose the agression do they or was it just kibbles lol.
mm confine him till then..we had to with kibbles felt so mean but couldnthandle the fear anymore:shock: :lol:

Back