• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WIRE or slabs for bottom of RUNS

sazixd

Warren Scout
hi i was wondering if anybody has wire for the bottom of their runs to prevent unwanted visitors or our bunnys digging out/or do u use stone slabs.
what does everyone use.
im especially interested in bunnys with double storeys hutch and run type homes.
i want to get my two boys a run attached but i live in the country and worry something gets into them or them getting out,
sorry if i sound confusing its that time of night :D

I have mine on slabs as I thought they weren,t supposed to be on grass all day but my vet said they should be allowed to graze all day so feeling a bit guilty now!!!

My lot have their permenant run on slabs (Smokey is a digger). However, they spend at least 4 hours a day with access to a much larger run that is on grass.

Hi

Mine are on slabs but I've put down some rubber matting (see piccie) at the bottom of the run and inside their garage set up to help prevent sore hocks? A friend of mine has a double storey hutch with run attached and her two are on grass with wire bottom and that seems to work well also, but I prefer the slab option as much easier to clean etc...

runmats.jpg

Mine are in a hutch/run on slabs 8pm-ish-8a.m but in a run on grass during the day. I don't have wire on the bottom as one of the buns is a rex with possible problems of sore hocks. Fortunately neither bunster is a digger.

Do those that have wire just put it on top of the grass, directly under the run, or under the grass slightly? I am just about to put wire under mine, as Honey is a digger, but I was going to put it an inch or 2 down as I thought it was bad for their feet to be on wire?

Yes, it is bad for their feet.
You need to have the wire sunk under the ground.
I have my attatched runs on concrete.

i have mine on half and half
used slabs in one corner to keep the nails down and wire on the bit with the grass to stop madam ava digging her way out

Back