• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what should i do

i went out into the garden the other day to find that my giants bun couldnt walk. It looked to me like she couldnt use her back legs at first i thought it cud be because the other buns had been laying on her and she had a 'dead leg', but the next morning it was the same so i took her to the vets and they gave her a couple of injections painkillers etc and told me they didnt think it was broken but she was obviously in alot of pain and if it doesnt get any better in a few days she should be pts. That was yesterday and today she doesnt seem better at all, she is just laying there and is wet because she is weeing on her self but on the other hand she is only a young bun and still has years left. What do you guys think. I was thinking about getting her some wheels?? but is this fair and where would i get them

hope you can help

I'd agree - definitely get a second opinion from a different vet!

Is it one of her legs which she isn't using properly or both? If both, it could be something like e.cuniculi or a spinal injury. If it's just one, then it could be something more like a fracture. I'd be asking a vet to do x-rays I think :?

Please take her back to a different vet as soon as possible and ask for some further tests, it sounds as if she could be in pain and she will certainly not be very happy as she is at the moment! If it could be EC, the sooner treatment is started, the better. Also if she is wet that puts her at a huge risk of flystrike so it's really important this is sorted out as soon as possible!

yeh i am taking her to another vet 2morra afternoon it is only 1 leg i think, the vet said it definatly wasnt broken. Im just worried i am goin to have to have herput to sleep. I have been bathing herevery day and moving her around so she doesnt get 'bed sores', but i feel so srry for her and dont want her to suffer

Hi :)

Like the others have said it could be a number of things and really does need xrays!

Is the other vet you are going to rabbit savvy? If not, I know a couple in East London area I can pm you....

Hope everything turns out for ok.

leg

Ask for an x ray, I know it's an expense but at least you will know. They can't always tell just by feeling it, if the bunny is in pain it may stop eating and then its hard to get them to start eating again.

I wonder about EC too.... Doesn't sound like the vet is looking at all the options at all.

I wouldnt be happy if that was my vet..... I'd have expected him to suggest an xray that day, at the least :? Really hope bun makes a full recovery.

hiya, just to let you know the other vet the i took her to sed it is prob EC, I did think it was this, he has given panacur, and baytril. I given her afew days to c what happens. Its so hard to watch as she is struggling to stand up but cant and her front feet are now sore where she is pulling herself along

Back