• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

newbie! advice please

Andrea

New Kit
I have a cashmere lop called charlie, I got him from a pet shop as an adoption as i went in to get some treats for my hammies and it was the day befopre xmas eve.

He looked so sad and had been neglected and dumped at the pet shop.

children were rattling his cage and tormenting him and i fell in love and jsut took him home.

never had a bun before but always wanted one and constantly looking for more informatin to make sure he is healthy and happy.

We had him neutered as he was humping everything and was told by a few sources that if he isnt going to breed its healthier to have that done as they are suceptable to cancer.

and we have got him injections etc.

now i would like to ask for advice on grroming.

Hes a wriggly little nippa and doesnt like being picked up but he loves being stroked... so when hes a flat out bunny we tend to comb, brush, trim, clip and we even have a stiutch ripper as when we got him as i said he was neglected and matted terribly.. they shaved some off when he had his op but unfortunately they said we would either have to tackle the rest ourselves or go back. (i think the anesthetic ran out)

we have got it to the point that its only his bottom end, underneath mainly and by his tail... also his back legs are a bit matted but he kicks as is natural.

Any advice on what to do or should i just take him back to the vet and get them to sort it!

I really just want to look after my little angel.

Oh and when i get chance i will post pics!

hugs

Andrea xx

have you tried wrapping him in a towel before you turn him over to groom underneath . this sometimes works . also try gently covering his eyes to calm him down .

if he still wriggles then i would definatly take him back to the vets for them to do it .

regular grooming should then prevent him getting bad again .

well done for getting this far ....we ve had to sort out long haired buns before and its hard , tedius work :? :D

Angie

Thanks,

Yeah we love our bun and want him to healthy and happy..

hes a big boy and has managed to kick me quite a few times.

i had a stripe down my chin where he wellied me!

I will give it a go but i dont want him to get to anxious.

If we cant get anything sorted i will take him to the vet.

Andrea x

How about asking someone to hold Charlie on their lap with his bum hanging a bit over the edge. Then if you sit on the floor you may be able to access his undercarriage that way.
As Angie suggests, wrapping him in a towel will help him feel more secure. You'll obviously need to leave his back end uncovered though!!

Good Luck with the grooming

Janex :D

Back