• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anybody had experience of using penicillin?

sylvarabbit

Young Bun
Hi,
my beautiful Wilhemina has breathing problems relating to an upper respiratory tract infection and I have been doing some research into the possibility of her having penicillin injections - does anyone have experience of this?
I am trying to find as much information on the pros and cons of using it as possible, as it seems to be a slightly contraversial treatment option. I would like to be fully aware of the risks associated with it before going ahead, have any of you used it and it had side effects?
Thankyou in advance for your help and advice :)
Kathryn & Wilhemina

Hello

I have had several Buns who have been treated with Penicillin INJECTIONS. I emphasise 'injections' as Penicillin should NEVER been given orally to a Rabbit.

Has your Vet recommended Penicillin Injections? Has your Bun been treated with any other antibiotics?

A Bun on Penicillin Injections would benefit from having FIBREPLEX a pro/prebiotic paste with added Fibre. Also, it is beneficial to minimise the carbohydrates in Buns diet (avoid sweeter Veg like carrots and avoid fruit. No 'treats' that contain lots of sugar) Some Vets also advise giving QUESTRAN which is a powder you mix up with water. It is meant to 'mop up' the bad gut bacteria before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

Penicillin Injections should be prescribed with caution but they can be a life-saver.

An injectable antibiotic that is of slightly less risk than Penicillin is Cephalexin. Maybe you could ask your Vet about this?

Janex

i agree with all jane has said .

we have used penecillin injections a few times but have actualy had more success with oral Septrin .

All depends on the strain of infection though :?

Angie

Thankyou - especially Jane, you have been very helpful

Wilhemina has had septrin, ronaxan and baytril and is currently on a combination. She also has a nebuliser with a mucolytic drug that helps her breathing.

I have some more web searching to do before I know what will be best for Mina, I could never forgive myself if I gave the go ahead for using a drug that made her worse.
Thankyou again
Kathryn

Engemycin/terramycin (brand names for oxytetracyclines) is a tetracycline which can be given in a long acting injection every 3 days and my vet says she finds it the best thing for URTIs; it's supposed to be a bit safer on the gut flora than penicillin so might be worth a go before going onto penicillin??

My Santa has courses of this from time to time and it clears her snuffles up brilliantly.

I gave Zeus an injectible penicillin derivative in combination with probiotics in his water, a hay and veggie only diet and metacam.

It seemed to help reduce his infection (in his tooth roots) but the metacam on its own worked just as well in the end as it reduced the inflammation. He certainly didn't get any worse on it.

I had my OH hold him still and feed him to distract him, while I gave it into his scruff as the vet had shown me.

Caz

Hi

Not sure if this is relevant or not but here goes!

My Jake has a reddish tint to his wee the other month, the Vet thought it was red water but decided to treat it as an infection to be on the safe side. As Jake is a pest for eating crushed tablets (he will pick the tablet bits out!) the Vet decided to give him a slow release injection of antibiotics. It was so much easier than worrying about how to get tablets in him.

Hope your Bun is better soon!

Thankyou everyone,
I have made a note of all of the different options and will search on google, Mina is a little better today on her combination of Baytril, Ronanxan & Tribrissen so hopefully she will continue to improve and I won't have to worry about taking a risk with penicillin or other anti-b's that aren't routinely used in rabbits.
She needs a dental and tearduct flush next week but I am very worried about her having a GA already. She is on an intensive nebulisation course for 1 week to improve her breathing and make it safer for her to be sedated.
Thanks again,
Kathryn

Back