• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best combination??

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you will know I took in a lovely rabbit for someone and she had an unexpected litter my question is I would like to keep two of the babies what would be best to keep? I am going to put mum in with my neutered male as they get on brilliantly and when he is out in the garden he sits by her hutch. I don't know the sexes of the babies yet(I assume there will probrably be both sexes in the litter of 6) The one I really like is the biggest of the lot and I personally think it will be a boy however I cant really keep two boys together can I?? Can anyone tell me what the best combination would be? Im thinking two girls would be best. Also what is the best age to take them to the vets to be sexed?? Thanks.
Sallyxx

I have two litter mates together. Salt and Pepper, who used to wee all over each other until they were neutered! So it is possible.

would two boys get along until they were old enough to be neutered? Also if for instance I kept 3 babies (hubby will love me)is it impossible to keep two girls and 1 boy together until they were all neutered or would the boy be able to get the girls pregnant before they could be done??
Sally x

I'd keep one boy and a couple of girls, if all are neutered when old enough they should be very happy together :D

sally1974 said:
would two boys get along until they were old enough to be neutered? Also if for instance I kept 3 babies (hubby will love me)is it impossible to keep two girls and 1 boy together until they were all neutered or would the boy be able to get the girls pregnant before they could be done??
Sally x

Yes the boy could and probably would get the girls pregnant

Sue&Sooty said:
sally1974 said:
Sally x

Yes the boy could and probably would get the girls pregnant

At what age can female rabbits become pregnant? I know you can neuter boys before girls can't you?

I might seriously consider keeping 3 then if 1 boy can live with two girls, as long as he can't get them pregnant before he is old enough to be neutered thanks for the info. I wish I could keep them all but I already have 4 bunnies :(
Sallyx

We kept a boy and girl from our litter. We had the boy neutered early about 14 weeks. I'd heard that girls can get preggers from 16 weeks old. He had his op and came back same day. The vet told me he could get her pregnant but the risk was very small. They were completely miserable even for a few hours without each other so I put them straight back together. I realise other people would frown at this but they adore each other and no he never got her pregnant.

Our other boys were kept as pairs and neutered at 16 weeks. Though even before this they never seemed very frisky with each other and never really even scuffled. They went as pairs to new homes. One pair went to a family friend and they still live happily together.

The two dutch brothers we have at the moment are 12 weeks or so old and will be neutered next week. They scuffle a bit so my vet said she'd do them asap. Though I did i think read here that someone said dutches mature early. So I'm hoping that like our other boys once they are done they'll live happily together. So in my limited experience I'd say a boy and girl littermate (or girl girl boy) partnership is do-able as is two boys.
Just my opinion though! x x x

Oh and I did think someone on here explained very well i think, that boys if they are done early (but I'm not sure what age, before 16 weeks?) they are immediatly infertile, whereas obviuosly if they were done older than that, the 4/6 week rule applies. I think.. . . perhaps I just dreamt it! :shock:

I currently have a family of 4, Mum, Dad and the two boys. They get on fine most of the time although Mum sometimes gets a bit fed up and needs some "me" time!

Back