• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Limp- *IMPORTANT PLEASE READ*-U/D 21st April

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have spent 2 days speaking with various bods at the HO of the CYLAP Manufacturers. They appear to be listening, so far, despite the fact I am just 'joe public'. The Vet in charge of the Rabbit side of things is calling me back this afternoon. I'll let you know how I get on.

Janex

OK, well the Vet has got back to me and has asked me to collect details of any Rabbit that has developed a limp after having a VHD Vaccination.
We need to know:

1. When the Vaccination was given (or a rough date)

2. Name and address of Vet who gave Vaccination

3. How long AFTER Vaccination before limp developed

4. Was any additional treatment sought from Vet. If so what was their response

5 How long was the Rabbit lame

Please PM me the details and hopefully we can get this S/E noted on the Vaccine Data Sheet so future Bunny carers are aware that, although not a serious s/e it can happen

Apparently one of the Cylap Cat Vaccines can cause a limp in cats so the Vet has not dismissed our concerns re the VHD Vaccine

Ta Muchly :D

Janex

Well done Jane! :thumb:

That looks suspiciously like progress ;) :D

Who better to listen to than the people who know their pets though? :)

Is this a problem with the Vaccine itself or the injection ?

All our buns have had limps after nearly every VHD injection - they normally last for about 36 hours starting approx 12 hours after the injection - with the worst of it being during the afternoon/evening the day after.

As it has always happened we have always thought of it as 'normal' and when we queried it with teh vets after the first time, they said it was a pretty usual reaction to the vaccine.

Martin

I'll PM you Jane- having not realised that a limp was a side affect of the injection I was told to rush Dillon to emergency clinic and that he could possibly have a fracture. In fact it was the same vet and I suggested that it could have been a possible side affect and I think I really offended her and she said she has never had any problems before! :evil: That trip costed me £65!!! It was christmas eve, I was given metacam, gut stimulant and told to prevent him from running around for 10 days.

Mart said:
Is this a problem with the Vaccine itself or the injection ?

All our buns have had limps after nearly every VHD injection - they normally last for about 36 hours starting approx 12 hours after the injection - with the worst of it being during the afternoon/evening the day after.

As it has always happened we have always thought of it as 'normal' and when we queried it with teh vets after the first time, they said it was a pretty usual reaction to the vaccine.

Martin

Martin if you could PM me the details of your Bun's vaccinations it'd be really helpful :D

Janex

lil_sar said:
I'll PM you Jane- having not realised that a limp was a side affect of the injection I was told to rush Dillon to emergency clinic and that he could possibly have a fracture. In fact it was the same vet and I suggested that it could have been a possible side affect and I think I really offended her and she said she has never had any problems before! :evil: That trip costed me £65!!! It was christmas eve, I was given metacam, gut stimulant and told to prevent him from running around for 10 days.

OMG! Bet you want your money back - that's robbery...outrageous

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
lil_sar said:

OMG! Bet you want your money back - that's robbery...outrageous

Fiona x

Thats the exact scenario I mentioned to the Vet. Someone on here this week (sorry, senior moment and cant remember who :oops: ) had a Bun develop a badly swollen and painful leg after her Vaccine and the Vet proposed a GA and X-Ray :shock: :shock:

Janex

Oh yes, the X-ray was suggested to me too!! I knew it couldn't have been a fracture because I was watching him all day and he didn't move, poor little might was in so much discomfort.
The other vets I have seen at the practice have been wonderful but this one made me feel so stupid when she dismissed that it could have been a side affect.
And also to say make sure he doesn't run around for 10 days- have you ever tried to stop a bunny hopping around???!!!!
It was a lot of money but it was xmas eve but still I was more concerned that I was feeding medication that really wasn't necessary. At least I will know next time what to expect :)

Back