• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should you bath your buns?

I thought you shouldn't bath buns cos they lose heat too quickly

I bath my piggie once a month, cos he gets smelly

Nicola

There are alternatives? When ben gets mucky feet there is this spray on soap specifically for small animals. It is a foam and you massage it in and it dries really quickly, smells lovely and cleans his feet nicely! I got it at pets at home but it is available in lots of other pet shops too

I think there is a talcom powder type of one too, like dry soap but I am not sure

I have to bath Poppy, who is almost 6 years old, quite often, especially when the weather starts getting warmer. She has a very dirty bottom, which attracts the flies. She had fly strike twice last year, which luckily I found quite early on, so was able to rush her to the vets to have the maggots(Yuck!!) removed. I am always having to top up the Rear Guard. Have tried using baby wipes, but don't find them very effective. Her diet is the same as my other buns, but because she is quite small, I give her less. I tried giving her dwarf or junior excel pellets to see if that would help, but she did not seem to like them. I always keep her indoors overnight after I bathe her and so far she has had no problems with the cold. I ensure the water is very shallow and only her bottom and back legs get wet. Any tips on dirty bottom syndrome will be most welcome.
Jo :bunny: x

i wouldnt really bath a bun unless it was really necessary. i once took one of my rabbits into college to get bathed by the breeds and grooming students (big mistake!) i stayed with him while he was bathed and he paniced like crazy! it had to be the worst decision of my life to take him in but you learn by your mistakes.

weepeep50 said:
I have to bath Poppy, who is almost 6 years old, quite often, especially when the weather starts getting warmer. She has a very dirty bottom, which attracts the flies. Any tips on dirty bottom syndrome will be most welcome.
Jo :bunny: x
Sory to hear about the flystirke but well done for being on top of it :thumb: Brody used to get a mucky bum and needed frequent baths, which were very stressful for both of us. Plus I wouldn't consider bonding her with Totti the pristine rabbit as I didn't want to leave him open to fly strike. They went away for boarding and Auntie Adele wormed Brody and voila... she has never needed her bottom washed since... Brody not Adele :oops: :oops: :lol: p.s. after that I was able to bond her with Totti and they are totally in love. Brody has never had a sticky bum since the worming and I keep a strict eye on her diet

I wouldn't advise it but if needed then it's ok.

Ozzy had to have them nearly daily last year as he had maloclussion but my then dentist didn't notice :(. Now his teeth are sorted he's ok but if he starts to get one I know it's time for another dental check up :)

XxX

Back