• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick bunnies - how do you cope with the stress?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I must warn you, I'm feeling really sorry for myself this evening, and am wanting to talk to people who understand. :(

I am struggling so much with my bunnies' recurring bouts of illness (and the fact that it is mostly a mystery). Doing what I can , in the sense of not letting up with the vets, and have changed vets recently too.

But I just feel that not a day goes by without some sort of animal drama at the moment. The vet fees are mounting up, and I'm getting a disproportionate amount of responsibility and enjoyment from them, if you know what I mean.

And to top it all, my rescue spiny mice had to be split up this week, as they've had a big fight, and one of them is injured.

So, whilst I won't be wanting to rehome any of my animals, or anything like that, I do feel that I won't be taking on any more (ie in numbers). At the moment I don't feel that I could ever take on more bunnies - I have never known such high maintenance animals! Love them to bits though, of course! :)

Sorry for the waffle - just had to let it out. :(

I know how you feel with the poorly buns :(

The best thing you can do is make sure you eat properly and get plenty of rest :)

Spend time with them when you don't have to do meds, health checks etc

I am really sorry that your Buns have caused so much stress and worry :cry:
Obviously I am not a Vet but I would love to meet your Buns to see if I could pick up on what may be the underlying cause of their recurrent problems :? :?

I really hope things take a turn for the better soon

Janex

You know I sympathise Sarah :lol: I've never known such stressful pets as rabbits, both emotionally and financially...I feel terrible mentioning money but it really is a problem being on a low wage :? and I worry so much that she is going to get ill again and I might lose her :cry:

Don't get me wrong though, I adore Audrey :love:

Thanks guys - I'm feeling very close to tears here (partly due to work stuff). :(

Jane, I'm sure my bunnies would love to meet you! :)

Thinking of you. I know what its like and the bills never seem to stop. I constantly worry about all my animals. The bunsters will get through this and you with smiles on your faces. Sending vibes and hugs x

Gem said:
Spend time with them when you don't have to do meds, health checks etc

I sat and watched a film with my poorly bun last night and it really helped, he kept nudging me everytime i stopped stroking him so I think it was nice for him too! He seems a bit better this morning too

I hope things get better for you and your buns xx

I think I cried solidly for about 3 weeks at one point when it got on top of me! Its the fact that it is constant.

All the syringe feeding had my house in a tip, no fresh towels which bugged me. Constant trips to buy tempting veg and supplies. Never mind the vet bills. I used to run out of time to have a shower which I hated.

I got the people close to me to keep reminding me I was doing a great job by them. How bizaree that I had to ask them for praise but once they realised that it made me feel better, they did it automatically and it helped me lots.

Hope you have some help, I didn't have much/any but I had moral support.

Vibes to the beautiful bunsters

Fiona x

You're not alone.

I have had the same problem recently. Inky broke his toe and then both him and Smokey had a mysterious GI Stasis situation that lasted for a week.

The money I've spent in the last few months is frightening. I'm stressed out as it is (I'm just finishing my degree and working at the same time on a low wage) and sometimes I was just sick of them being sick!

I love my rabbits to bits and there is nothing I wouldn't do to help them but it can get on top of you so easily. The worst was when Smokey went down with GI Stasis on a Monday evening just after the vets shut, I sobbed because I knew it was going to cost me at least £70 before the emergency vet even looked at her!

Luckily, my lot seem to have got over most of their problems in the last month but it has taken a long time for us to get there. Really you just have to hang in there and get help from anyone you can (for instace I used to get my mum to catch the rabbits and drop them down the vet and I'd meet her there from work), if you want the rainbow, you have to put up with rain!

Hugs

FC

Thanks all. :)

Yeah, I've missed the emergency vets by 10 minutes recently - I was gutted at the prospect of paying out £100 before any treatment. :shock: :(

I do get lots of support from the husband, but he keeps saying 'is there a day where we don't have a sick animal?' etc, and I feel guilty, as it's my fault we've increased our numbers with rescues.

I was very fortunate with my bunny - he was healthy for most of his life and then only got poorly towards the end however - I can sympathise. I have a very sickly dog.

My Krysla - though I love him to pieces - causes me much stress and financially is one of the main reasons why I don't dare look for my own house (living with parentals at the mo). He is 6 now but has had problems since he was 10 weeks old and I am lucky if I can go 6 weeks without a vet appointment. He is on constant medication and even with insurance - when you add up the premiums, excesses per condition per year etc and then all the 'stuff' that is not claimable - he costs me more per year than it would for me to buy a new car. I have worked it out.

I wouldn't trade him for the world but I know for certain, I could never have another pedigree dog. I love him but sometimes I find myself getting frustrated and just wishing that he could just go a few months without needing vet treatment. Then I feel guilty because it isn't his fault ..... But at the end of the day there is nothing that I would not do for my animals and the unconditional love that I get from my dog, makes it all worthwhile....

I know it is hard but all you can do is keep doing what you are doing and rant on here when you need to - whilst it is hard, your bun will love you for it.

I find things are so much harder to deal with when I'm tired. I've cried and told Andy I can't cope with the rabbits anymore but after a good nights sleep I wake up and things are completely different. It sounds to me like you need a night off and an early night and some good sleep. It doesn't help solve the problems and they are still there to be faced in the morning but they don't seem so insurmountable when you're feeling better in yourself.x

Oh sarah,

I`m so sorry you`re going through so much with your bunnies at the mo & understand how easily it can get on top of you emotionally.
I agree tiredness can also make you feel so much worse & if it is possible try & get some r&r.
Like you i love all my furries dearly but sometimes i just want to scream as sometimes it just seems to be one thing after another..........................

Sending massive cyber hugs your way.
Su.x

Thanks :) I've got the bunnies in the kitchen and they are taking up most of it, but it makes it all worthwhile when Clover climbs up me looking for food (Dusty is more shy).

Back