• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why has pirate gone violent?

Bhm1712

Young Bun
this morning i got pirate out for a run and she was fine as usual, she wanted cuddles and rubs etc, but tonight i went to let her out and she wont let me touch her, she lunges towards me with her mouth and teeth ready to bite!! whats brought on this sudden change in temperament?>

I think it's because shes not spayed. Are you thinking about getting her done or did the rescue you got her from asked you not to ?

It's probably hormones, before Pippa was spayed she'd go in cycles - I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you how long it is (like ours is 28 days for example). She'd be very grumpy then ok, then grumpy etc

Why don't you see how she is in a week, then when it happens again check if it's likely to be hormones

I'd get her spayed if she were mine tbh

if she is spayed will she still act the same around us? will she still want her rubs and will she still make her sweet little noises>?

Bhm1712 said:
if she is spayed will she still act the same around us? will she still want her rubs and will she still make her sweet little noises>?

Pippa was nicer once spayed but that could be cos she was happier too. I know some people have found their bunnies have been a bit sulky with them afterwards, but that settled down in time

i have noticed she is doing massive wet poos aswel, it looks more like human poop! and the poos are like the size of grapes! she might have an upset tummy, but shes not had a diet change.

Maybe she is being aggressive because she is unwell then? I'd get her back teeth checked out if why were you- squidgy poos can often indicate this.

When at the vets you could discuss spaying too. My rabbit Audrey's loving personality has not changed since spaying.

You must remember Celia asks fior her bunnies not to be spay, ity's not fair to keep telling her to spay her. When you take a bun from a rescue you agree to abide by their rules. I've got Bramble and Thistle from Celia (they're foster bunnies), as much as I would love to get them spay, I have signed to say I wont.

You can't keep asking someone to break their contract with the rescuem, if they disagree with it that mush, they would of gone some wheer else, but tehy took a bunny from Celia and agreed to abide by her ternms :D

This is not my view, I spay all the bunnies, but Celia is an older person and she's set in her ways, but you can't do things behind her back it's wrong. :D

PS, sounds like she's mid phatom pregnancy to me, has she build a nest in her bed box at all or running around with hay in her mouth.

I would say it's definatly hormonal, it could just be general hormones and she will calm down in a couple of days or as tree said she could be in a phantom or even a false pregnancy. If it's a phantom you have nothing to worry about it will last about a week and then she will return to normal. If it is a false pregnancy you have a problem, she would need a hormone injection from the vets to bring her out of it and my vets advice for false pregnancys is always a spay after the hormones have worked. Now i know tree has said that you have agreed not to have her spayed and so you would have to get clarification from your vet that the spay was required after the false pregnancy passes. In a phantom pregnancy they will build a nest and become a little grumpy but as i said it usually only lasts a week, in a false pregnancy the bun will actually produce milk and think she is really pregnant, i have one of these at the moment and she is in her 4th weekthe hormone injections she has had are staring to work but she is being spayed on tuesday. If her mood lasts more than a week take her to the vets and get them to check for a false pregnancy.

No it is totally your choice if you want to spay or not :thumb:. The only reason I said the above is because, I noticed on a lot of the posts that you make, people are always telling you to spay, I just thought I would speak out in case you felt like you couldn't explain your reasons why you felt you couldn't get her spay, if you get me :lol:

I agree with Tree about abiding by Celia's wishes, but if it made the difference between whether you were able to keep her or not then I would get her spayed. I'd hate to see her back in rescue :(

I think maybe she's always going to be one of those fiesty bunsters though. My lovely Audrey is very loving but can be stroppy sometimes and i wouldn't have it any other way :love:

Hopefully this will pass soon if it is hormonal, but I still think it might be worth getting her teeth looked at if she continues to be moody.

Although her diet hasn't changed, does she chomp grass whilst in the run. My french lops have eaten all my lawn and would eat grass all day, if allowed. Maybe she has eaten too much grass which has upset her tummy. Have you looked at the quantity of the vegs too.

It is a shame that this non-spaying rule is in place... they are my most local rescue, but I was put off enquiring about any of her does because of this rule :?
It is sad, as the two which I really liked are still there months later :(
has anyone ever shown her any scientific evidence of the pros of spaying?

CottonMather said:
It is a shame that this non-spaying rule is in place... they are my most local rescue, but I was put off enquiring about any of her does because of this rule :?

I agree 100%

However surely there is a difference between spaying routinely at 6 months and spaying an older rabbit due to hormonal disturbances and risk of uterine cancer :?

CottonMather said:

I was taken with a lovely little female aswell from there but couldn't have her when I found out I wasn't to get her spayed :(

Back