• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i cut his nail too short-ouch...

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hi.i was trimming bams nails yesterday and clumsily cut one too far down :( poor bam,he jumped and it bled a little.i felt so awful,i can never tell how low to cut but this was just a slip of the hand.do you think this causes alot of discomfort or just a little?poor boy

Ouch, I have accidently done that too :oops: :cry: I am sure that initially its very sore but as long as its kept nice and clean it should be ok. Just keep a check on the toe the nail goes into to make sure it does not start to look infected.

I too felt terrible when I accidently cut a Buns nail too short :cry:

Janex

thanks jane.he seems content enough bless him,it's just my conscience.mind you,i must admit that i don't have the worlds steadiest hands :shock:

mimi75 said:
thanks jane.he seems content enough bless him,it's just my conscience.mind you,i must admit that i don't have the worlds steadiest hands :shock:

I always dread trimming the dark nails. At least with the light ones you can see the quick.

Janex

I'm afraid I've been guilty of this once... :oops: I felt terrible too, its easily done though as a rabbits claws look quite long even when they're well worn. Fortunately my bunny had one pale nail, the others were black! I was able to use the light one to guage how much to cut off the rest.

My vet has done this too, so it's an easy mistake to make. Keep some flour around and dip the paw that's bleeding into it, the flour will stop the bleeding.

One day I came home from work to find a pair of blood soaked trousers in the bath, my dad had clipped my buns nails and nipped one, it bled awfully, he was taken to the vet but was fine, but it looked like a blood bath!
He was a little careful when walking on the paw, but he got over it quite quickly. I HATE cutting claws more than anything, I am so scared of doing it!

Don't worry too much I'm sure he'll be ok as the others have said. If it's any consolation I was watching a tv program ther other day about animal rescues and they rescued a group of rabbits and clipped their nails and each one had quite a bit of blood on their feet :( I guess it shows that even people who are well practiced get it wrong sometimes.

Oooh - this thread is making me go all funny.

I used to cut my buns nails when I was younger, but now I must admit that I wimp out and get the vet nurse to do it. :oops:

clipping nails

Daisy needs hers clipping but I have never done this, should I take her to the vets, she is a very feisty lady!!!! Daisy I mean not the vet!!!![/b]

If it makes you happier, the vet can show you how to do it. I generally wimp out and get the other half or the vet to do it, then I'm not the bad guy lol

I have to deal with the same thing every day...working at the dog groomers as the lowest ranking memeber of staff always helps :lol: It has to be my least favourite job ever trimming nails.

I cut the bunnies nails today and got a bit worried as they were quite jumpy when I was cutting them - but fortunately it went ok - phew!

Ooo, I did this to Jen the other day :( She has mostly white nails, but a few black ones and it was one of those I accidently nipped. She was not a happy bunny and even Frankie had a face on with me for it (his nails were fine!). It was only a teeny bit of blood but I felt really, really awful about it :( I feel bed just thinking about it!

Just to make you feel less guilty. I once took a bunny to the vet and he clipped her nails and made her bleed!!!! I have always vowed since that I would rather pay a vet to put my rabbit right once I have cut them than pay to actually have them do it in the first place!!

JellyBelly said:
My vet siad that if i make my buns nail bleed then i should push the nail into a bar of soap to stop it....

I always have a bar of soap (usually lush!!) handy for this reason when I'm cutting buns and piggies nails :D

Back