• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues....What is your 'full capacity'? (& fosterers)

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Just curious to see how many rabbits you care for at any one time and what your absolute limit is? Especially seen as the latest crop of rabbits seem to be arriving :roll:

Sorry for being nosey :D

BirdieBun said:
sgprescue said:
The most I have had in at any one time is about 35 rabbits and 80 guinea pigs.

wow!!!!!!!!! :shock:

how many do you have at the moment? :)

including a small number of holiday boarders I have 25 rabbits and 41 piggies. I have a few bunnies and pigs reserved though :D I am getting the numbers down at the moment because I go on my hols soon ;)

Whats your limit Sooz? just so I know when to stop finding you buns!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might have to rehome some from you soon :D ( hehehe I hope my hubby doesn't read this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Nicola

Our full capacity varies depending on how many fosterers we have.

I try not to go over 20 here at my place (although I have gone over now and again due to at risk bunnies)..then the fosterers buns on top..so we have been up to 50 at one time...

If you take in too many you run the risk of not coping yourself and not being able to care for the animals properly.
There is also the risk of disease/infection spreading very easily if anyone has a lot of animals in a small space.

Sooz...you started the post but haven't put your capacity! :lol:

my total limit is 40 rabbits and 60 guineas but I keep it down to 20 rabbits and 40 guineas when I have any in

honeybunny said:
Our full capacity varies depending on how many fosterers we have.

I try not to go over 20 here at my place (although I have gone over now and again due to at risk bunnies)..then the fosterers buns on top..so we have been up to 50 at one time...

If you take in too many you run the risk of not coping yourself and not being able to care for the animals properly.
There is also the risk of disease/infection spreading very easily if anyone has a lot of animals in a small space.

Sooz...you started the post but haven't put your capacity! :lol:

Thats hilarious considering you were only going to take in 4 at a time. But of course thats a good thing :D the buns need you!!!!

Fayeloicia said:
Flo said:
I only have four..very small I know

4 better off in your care than being mistreated or PTS

Better 4 well looked after than....................well you know the rest!

We know we are full when there is nowhere to sit down :lol: :lol:

A few weeks ago I had 48 rabbits !! I am down to 41, I think 48 was def me full!! :lol: it was never ending :shock:

Hello, well we are not a rescue, but as a Sanctuary our full capacity is around 50. However, as we are a permanent home for the bunnies, I feel it is paramount all the bunnies are handled every day, and have the attention they deserve. I have set the limit at 35 rabbits, but we are allowing numbers to drop naturally over the next few years to around 25 maximum.
I find caring for 33 rabbits is absolutely full time, so goodness knows how rescues cope :shock:

Adele said:
I find caring for 33 rabbits is absolutely full time, so goodness knows how rescues cope :shock:

we dont get any sleep and eat at the same time as poo shoveling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sgprescue said:
Adele said:

we dont get any sleep and eat at the same time as poo shoveling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Right that has answered my question nicely Cheryl, thanks for that :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :roll: I didnt think anyone would be interested in my numbers!
Well I have my own 5 and then I have 2 fosters and 5 rescues and can fit in 2 more (size dependant) so that makes it 14 total. However everyone has to exercise in 4 hour shifts :? .

Tyler has a couple coming from Goole to see him tonight with his new girlybun and I have two more rescues coming tonight so tomorrow I will have either 11,12 or 13!

They keep me busy enough so no way could I have more. I think 14 is my definate limit!

Got 13 of my own that are in rooms or room sections. they are always "loose"

Got 2 of my own, that are loose for 10 hours a day only. I need them caged when i'm about cos one will try to kill me.

Fosters - I have 8 in at present & 2 that are here for a week for bonding purposes only. The 2 are living in my living room, cos I wouldn't normally have extra :lol: Of the other 8, a bonded trio live in a room section, so loose all the time (no cages big enough for a trio). A bonded pair were fatties, so have the 14 hours a day in the room where my own bitey buns live, & the other 10 hours they are in a hutch, or playing in my living room/hallway/stairs
The remaining 3 - a bonded pair & a single, are all un-neutered & are in cages until i can supervise exercise in my house or garden. All caged buns, go in a room section if other buns are out, so the 3 caged get 4-8 hours exercise a day - but often in 2 shifts.
So basically I juggle buns about, & don't know whether I'm coming or going.
I am "full" at the minute. More time, & run-space full. I have 2 spare hutches, but my fosters are usually here for quite a while, so don't want to compromise how they live. Time-wise - I prefer bonded buns. i honestly don't have the time I should have for a single. :oops:

Back