• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help re bunny, with ongoing respiratory/rearduct problem

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Right guys,

This isn't for me, but for a young lady who is on my waiting list for her bunny to come into mine, through no fault of her own or her bunny. Bunny has a few health problems at the minute, which she is attempting to clear up before bunny comes in for rehoming, so as not to risk spreading infection to the bunnies I have in

She's been on the waiting list for a long time as bunny has a respiratory type infection and gunk coming out of her nose. Bunny is young and has been in constant touch with the vet, but her vet, being a normal vet kind of ignorant to bunnies, doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with bunny.

She has been on Baytrill now for a very long time and having check ups weekly and although bunny has picked up a bit, is not better. The meds she's on are 0.1ml of baytrill twice a day, eye drops are Fucithalmic, 1 drop twice a day

Quote from e-mail

the vet is not sure if it is a blocked tear duct or an infection. I have been giving her antibiotics for a while now, but it does not seem to be helping her. The vet said they can do a scan to see if her tear duct is blocked, but they will not do a scan or clear her blocked tear duct whilst she still has trouble breathing, as it is risky to put her under a GA. I have been going to the vets once a week for a while, and the vet just keeps telling me to continue her antibiotics and eye drops. I do not know when the vets can do something else for her.

quote from e-mail

Yes, it is.The gunk coming form her nose looks like a white coloured (excuse the grossness) snot. But it keeps drying and blocking her nose. When I pick all of the dryed off, she breathes a lot better.
another quote from e-mail

Asked re culture test

Quote from mail
No, they checked her nose and eyes. The vet said it could be a blocked tear duct, as the fluid usually drains from the nose, but as her tear duct may be blocked it is draining from her eyes. The vets placed a dye on her eye, and said it should drain from the nose within seconds. She said that if it didn't, she probably had a blocked tear duct. She put the drop in her eye, and my mom said she's pretty sure it didn't drain form her nose. The vet gave her some eye drops and antibiotics and said that these should help.

Myself personally, would probably go for a culture test and possibly say it was more of a pasterella type illness rather than a blocked tear duct being as it's been on her chest too? What do you think? Anyone know a good fairly cheap vet in the Birmingham area that she could possibly try and have better results, as this has now become very expensive for her, she wants the best for her bunny and she is only young?

Is the Buns respiratory problem confined to the UPPER respiratory tract?

If so it may all be TOOTH related, ie overgrown molar roots blocking the duct and also obstructing the nasal passages.

If Bun were mine and the respiratory problem were confined to the URT I'd ask if Bun could be started on a 7 day course of Septrin in preparation for a GA/Dental/Skull X-ray/Duct flush (as long as URTI responds to Septrin and Buns chest remains clear). A culture of any secretions can give misleading results if the pockets of infection are deep in the nasal passages.

If Buns RTI already involves the lungs I'd request Bun be started on an injectable Penicillin or injectable Engemycin (the long acting one-Engemycin LA) and change from Fucithalmic Eye ointment to Tiacil.

All of above the opinion of a BUNNY MUMMY not a qualified Vet :D

Janex

culture swab test would be one of my calls but first I would opt for a tear duct flush and head X ray to rule out tooth root issues :wink:

The culture test will hopefully confirm what sort of bacteria it is and it might be why the baytril is not working so another course of antibiotic's can then be administer :wink:

would ask for the culture test to also include pastuerella so that if this comes back positive then you will know that the bun will on occassions have flair ups of it and you will know what course of action to take rather than go through all the tests again :wink: :wink:

Like the title :lol: :lol: :lol: I take it by rearduct you meant the bunny butt then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would go with a culture swao and tear duct flush and have a good old look at the teeth. If the resp infection is confined to the upper end then i would definatly have alook at teeth, i have had two rabbits like this and with both it was front teeth problems and once they were removed the gunck went away and the infection cleared up. Could she take the bun to your vets Tree or is she too far away?

I too am struggling with something similar :( Daisy has been on baytril and another injected antibiotics, they cleared her tear ducts under GA & her nose kept running (only one nostril??), we then found a lump on her nose (which appeared whilst on antibiotics), had her xrayed and had an abcess removed (tooth) which we thought would sort her nose out.. yet it keeps running..

I'm reluctant to take her back to the vet as she is fine apart from a wet nose.. :? & really don't want the stress of another vet trip or a 3rd time under GA....

Would be very interested to hear advice on this.. :?:

rearduct :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it was suppose to say tearduct :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry :oops: , thanks for help, I'm going to send her the link :D

Personally I'd try and ask for a course of oxytetracycline (injectable every 3 days - I think engemycin or terramycin are the brands) rather than do a swab at the moment. I believe that septrin is inactivated by pus which is why I'd ask for oxytetra straight away if there is a pussy discharge. My Santa responds particularly well to this.

0.1ml baytril doesn't sound much to me, although maybe it's a stonger % version :? I'd be inclined to think that a swab will not show anything, especially as the bun is already on antibiotics (albeit ones that aren't clearing it up, but it might still affect swab results??)

AlisonA said:
Personally I'd try and ask for a course of oxytetracycline (injectable every 3 days - I think engemycin or terramycin are the brands) rather than do a swab at the moment. I believe that septrin is inactivated by pus which is why I'd ask for oxytetra straight away if there is a pussy discharge. My Santa responds particularly well to

0.1ml baytril doesn't sound much to me, although maybe it's a stonger % version :? I'd be inclined to think that a swab will not show anything, especially as the bun is already on antibiotics (albeit ones that aren't clearing it up, but it might still affect swab results??)

I agree :thumb:

Janex

Tree, you need a rabbit savvy vet, she shouldn't have to send money to the non-rabbit savvy vet after the 1st time. She should have switch long ago

Back