• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh dear...guilt guilt guilt - and annual check-ups????

lucyj

Mama Doe
Honey absolutly hates the vets, gets himself in a right old state whenever he has to go. Had the 2 of them yesterday for their myxi boosters and annual check up.

Did Honey first, was a nightmare, when getting his claws clipped took me and my other half to hold him wrapped up in a towel. Obv Harly got a scare from this, cuz he pee'd loads in the carrier (he's fine with the vets normally, and has never done this before) then Honey peed on the table :oops: . Then Harly was really nervy and jumpy as well when he was getting done.

When they were getting their boosters, I asked the girl (not our normal vet unfortunatly) if she put the little bit into their ears, said no. I explained the situation and asked would she please do this - they didn't like it at all! The 2 of them leaped right up, she said it's cuz it's sore there.

Took them home in the carrier, only 2min drive, Honey was mega mad at me put him in his hutch & was stamping at me. Then took Harly out carrier & realised he'd been sittin in the pee, so had to get a damp cloth & clean him up - so he was miffed at me too.

Came home from work & neither would come to me, just kept turning their backs. Ended up giving them apple & carrot for tea even tho I know I shouldn't, trying to make friends again. You can't just explain that your doing it for their good can you...

Oh also, got the vet to check Harly's watery eye, she says as he has this & sometimes has yellow around his nose as if he's had mucus coming out, this could be his teeth, but she can't feel anything just now, so has given me some cream to pop in a cpl of times a day, and I've to keep an eye on it and for him going off his food. I said he eats slower than Honey, I had noticed that, but not sure if he maybe always did, & Im jst lookin for lastin symptoms from the myxi. He definatly does eat.

To be honest I wasnt very impressed - I had to ask if I could get drops or something for his eye. Also, I had to ask her to check Honey's teeth, & she didn't weigh them. After she'd done the injection on Honey I said oh is that it, what else does he get for his annual check up - and she said that's it, I checked his heart & did his booster jag. Is that normal????

Funniliy enough I went through a simialr thing last night when I took my two for their injections.

But beware i had two rabbits previously (last year) Ollie and Tillie, we took them for what our vets called happy hopper week, which was basically a free health check and answer any questions that we may have on rabbit care. However after Tillie was given a clean bill of health and we were told that she was actually in fantastic condition, she died 2 days later. This was due to the stress of going to the vets in the first place and being kept waiting there 20mins after our alloted time.

So the moral of this story, Don;t take your rabbit for a health check if he/she gets very stressed by it, just stick to the yearly vacination appointment(s).

god thats awful - yeah Honey really hates it. I took Harly loads of times by himself when he had myxi and he was fine with it, but think he must of got scared cuz of the state Honey got in.

It's not even the claw clipping that Honey hates - once you get him settled he'll elt her clip them, it's just being at the vets and being handled. So we're away to buy clippers & start doing it ourself at home.

ps it was their annual check - wouldn't take them just for the sake of it cuz it stresses Honey too much

Thank you, it was a bit of a shock I have to say, so we now only go to the vets when there is a need such as vacinations.

Mine love the jorney to the vets its a diffrent story when we get there Honey just wants constant cuddles and Harley just wants to run away, He had his first check up and ended up jumping off the table. As soon as we get back in the car there back to thier normal selves

Mine love the jorney to the vets its a diffrent story when we get there Honey just wants constant cuddles and Harley just wants to run away, He had his first check up and ended up jumping off the table. As soon as we get back in the car there back to thier normal selves

awww u have a Honey n a Harly 2! Been usin the forum for a year n tht's the 1st time tht's happened :D

Back