• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wind..!

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Ok, I know this is a subject that is discussed time and again on here so I apologise but I had a scare with Bertie last night.

He was fine all evening and then all of a sudden seemed very odd. He completely lost control of his pooing (most unlike him) and he kept kind of backing up.. he kept throwing himself down on his side and then sitting hunched up.

So I guessed he had tummy ache.. tried to give him some water, then tried massaging his tum - he wouldn't let me. I rang my emergency vets and got some numpty on the phone who clearly knew nothing about rabbits... I was trawling through all my books and couldn't remember what people on here have advised. :roll:

So, what is the best thing to do please?? Sorry about the longish post..

Is Bertie OK now?

If he did have abdominal pain due to gas then INFACOL (Simethicone) can be given as a 'first aid' treatment. But it is always better to get a Bun with tummy pain to a Vet ASAP as there are so many possible causes and therefore many different approaches to treatment.
A sudden onset of abdominal pain is more worrying as it can indicate Bloat or an obstruction. Both conditions require emergency veterinary treatment.
GI stasis tends to come on more slowly, with decreased faecal production, decreased eating etc.

Then again, abdominal pain may not be GI tract related at all but may be due to a bladder problem (eg cystitis, bladder sludge, uroliths)

Infacol wont harm a Bun if given as a first aid treatment but unless you are certain of the cause of the pain it may do nothing at all. So its always best to get Bun to a Vet so the correct treatment can be given once a diagnosis has been made

Janex :)

Back