• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question regarding Myxi jab

anna

Mama Doe
Ted and Dougal had their myxi jabs today, but I am a bit concerned as to how the jab was injected into them.

I've always thought that the jab is injected into the neck, and a small amount into the skin. The vet (who was clueless abouts buns :( ) injected the whole lot into the body. Is this actually right? I didn't say anything to the vet in case I was wrong, but this has been bugging me all day now. Will they still be fully protected against myxi?

Help! I'm really worried now! The vet they normally see wasn't there today, and Ted did not like the new one, he went a bit mental when she picked him up!

As long as the Vet gave 10% of the vaccine INTRADERMALLY that's OK. The intradermal part can be given in the scruff but its easier to do at the base of the ears where the skin is thickest.

I would phone and ask to speak with the Vet who gave the vaccine. Ask if he/she was aware of the necessity of giving 10% of the dose intradermally.
If he/she disputes this point them towards here

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Janex

I had mine bunnies done a few weeks ago and my vet injected a little at the base of the ear and the rest went into the neck area.

I thought better protection was given if the intradermal bit was done into the ears? I hope so cuz I asked for this the other day and my poor buns about leaped of the table and had a little sore lump on their ear, and Harly even squealed :( no probs last year when it went into their scruff so I hope I didn't put them through that for nothing....:(

If ur unsure Id ask to speak to a rabbit savvy vet who should b able to advise you or put your mind at ease

lucyj said:
I thought better protection was given if the intradermal bit was done into the ears? I hope so cuz I asked for this the other day and my poor buns about leaped of the table and had a little sore lump on their ear, and Harly even squealed :( no probs last year when it went into their scruff so I hope I didn't put them through that for nothing....:(

If ur unsure Id ask to speak to a rabbit savvy vet who should b able to advise you or put your mind at ease

Giving the intradermal bit is easier if it is done into thicker skin. That way you can actually see the needle go between the dermis and epidermis. The skin on a Bun is thickest at the base of the ears which is why it is suggested this is where the intradermal part is given. A skilled Vet should be able to inject intradermally in the scruff, its just not so easy to be sure you have done it. The intrademal part will not be 'less effective' if given in the scruff, just as long as the needle goes between the dermis and epidermis.

Hope that makes sense... :?

Janex

lucyj said:

Goodness.what did he use to put it in with? Neither of mine even flinched when their mixi went into the base of the ear?

lucyj wrote:
I thought better protection was given if the intradermal bit was done into the ears? I hope so cuz I asked for this the other day and my poor buns about leaped of the table and had a little sore lump on their ear, and Harly even squealed no probs last year when it went into their scruff so I hope I didn't put them through that for nothing....

Goodness.what did he use to put it in with? Neither of mine even flinched when their mixi went into the base of the ear?

I dont know, she said before she did it he's not gonna like this, it hurts here, & the 2 of them jumped out of my hands right up in the air, and honest harly squealed :cry:. o dont think it was right at the base of their ear she did it tho, it was slightly higher up

My stupid vet put some of Archies actually into his ear "flap" AND managed to nick a blood vessel - so neither he nor I were very impressed at that! :?

Back