• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a rabbit!!!

drboo

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, I have been researching getting a rabbit for awhile now. I have visited Rabbit Rehome frequently, but the time didn't seem right. Well obviously someone was fed up with me dawdling around, as yesterday my sister found a rabbit wandering outside her church. He appears to be a dwarf lop, and his hair is so matted, a chunk has come away from his back. He is having a haircut from a professional animal groomer on Wednesday, and then a trip to the vet. Despite being obviously neglected, he is friendly and sooo cute. He has spent all night hopping around my kitchen as if nothing bothers him. I am going to the petshop tomorrow to buy a few things for him. Once the vet has given him the all clear, he shall be temporarily moving into a 4ft x 2ft hutch in my shed, with access to the kitchen every evening. However, I plan to give him the run of the shed once I can get a joiner to fit a wire internal door, and want to buy a suitable run for the garden. Can anyone recommend one? Name options are Sunday or Jack. :D

have to give him a christian name if he was found outside a church!!! or how about Father Jack :lol:
Would you be able to get him checked by a vet any sooner? he may be in discomfort if he's matted and could have mites etc... :?
check out e-bay for runs - there are a few good ones at descent prices. Good luck with your new addition! :D

Thanks :D I was taking him to the vet tonight, but they said they wouldn't do anything tonight, and he would have to go back tomorrow for a GA before they would clip him. The professional groomer said she could do it without a GA, which I thought would be safer. So I am waiting until after he is clipped, in case the vets try to do it themselves!! He seems fine in himself, abit thin but eating. Am only feeding him small amounts at the mo, as don't want to upset his tummy. I have a question about runs - do they need a wire bottom to prevent escapes? Thanks :D

drboo said:
I have a question about runs - do they need a wire bottom to prevent escapes? Thanks :D

I assume you know all about the importance of Hay?

Edit, duh should read the whole message first- sorry :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Ignore me it's late :oops: :lol:

A lot of people say yes to wire the bottom of the run to prevent any digging out, some say no.

Personally only two of my runs have wire on the bottom, one because Hazel is a terrible digger :roll: :lol: and the other because it's on the boundary wire laid down to prevent any accidental escapees :wink:

Oh almost forgot, Congratulations on the new addition :D :D

haa haa bless it found you! You seem well informed, good for you! Just bear in mind bun could ahve eate anything whilest lose so just keep an eye out for anything unusual. You also might want to check that someone hasn't reported him missing.

Yes - my sister didn't want to advertise him due to his coat, but I insisted that she put a notice in the church window. He could have been free for weeks, as his coat is in such a terrible state, and it is better to think he has escaped, rather than be left to get in this state and then released :( Have bought some Rabbit excel and given him a tablespoon - he gobbled it up, but I don't want to upset his tummy too much. Am luckily off work today, as am finishing an assignment, so he is hopping around the kitchen and study, investigating. :D

Oh what a great story, I think the man upstairs sent you a bunny that needed a home! Sunday is a great name! :D

Awwwww Sundays a good name....... Not quite biblical but biblical enough lol :lol:
I hope you guys have many happy years together... and it would be a shame if he had been allowed to get into this state by someone and then they wanted him back - So I really hope for his sake and yours that no one comes. So he can have a wonderful life. He already sounds like a happy chap.

Well my beautiful brave boy has had a big day!!! He now only has fur on his face, feet and tail!! The groomer was clipping him for 1 and a half hours!!! He was so good - only struggled abit. Then I took him to the vets. She says he is between 18 months and 4 years old, his teeth are good, he is underweight and she thinks he might be a lionhead cross. He had his myxi jab, and is booked in for his VHD in 2 weeks. She also said to hang fire with neutering until he is abit better. So he is now running around in the kitchen looking abit out of proportion :D

PS. No calls from the sign either :D

aaaah he sounds lovely!

I like Sunday :D

Bless him, we need to have a picture of the poodle rabbit on the road to recovery! :wink: :lol:

I hope you get to keep him xx

Back