• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I or shouldnt I

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
well- still stuck i think with the whole bonding thing

heres the latest:

Photo-0008.jpg

but i still cant trust them alone together because hes still trying to bite her bum which is causing a few scuffles.

But they so desperately want to live together - they groom and lie together through the bars. Im stuck still.

They look for each other through the bars. They love each other but why the fighting and chasing still? Shall I chance it? I dont want to come home to buns with no ears!

How long are they out together? A bit of bum nipping/chasing is normal. If you can leave them somewhere neutral for a day or so it would probably settle down.

I am no expert on bonding but I suspect you need to set aside at least 24 hours where you can leave them together all the time but be there to intervene should a major fight break out. Every time you seperate them you really go right back to square one with their bonding.

Janex

I bonded Bertie and Fizz round about the same time you started the bonding with your two.. I never seperated them once I started their bonding..
Bertie was chasing her a lot and trying to nip her but she was a fast runner so he couldn't catch her :lol: We bonded them in a large run outside and them moved them overnight into the conservatory.
They are now very happy together :D and really enjoy each others company..

i think im just scared

they arent really ever seperated in a sense.

I have the NIC cube housing- and the bars are wide enough to groom through etc- so they arent really seperated.

Im such a wimp i think

But the physical separation allows them each to retain their own 'territory' so even though they can groom through the bars, they each have their own space to 'protect'.

I agree with what has been said - it sounds as if they will bond, you just need to be able to set aside a good period of time to supervise them until they are ok together. Every time you put them back in their own 'territory', the next time they are together they will in effect have to start again with their bonding.

If you can set aside a couple of days one weekend - put them together (somewhere neutral!) in the morning, and watch them all day. In the past at the end of a day, I have left them together overnight but have slept on the floor nearby so that if there is a major barney, I am there to deal with it.

Good luck - it sounds as if it will all be fine, you just need to be able to leave them together for a good long period of time until the chasing settles down and you are happy they are bonded.

My female used to chase benji and go under his bum ( i dont know what it is!!) this continued for about a week and now they don't do that at all.
It sounds like they will be fine together. They are just seeing who is boss.

Jemma&Theo said:
i think im just scared

they arent really ever seperated in a sense.

I have the NIC cube housing- and the bars are wide enough to groom through etc- so they arent really seperated.

Im such a wimp i think

I was really scared of bonding Bertie and Fizz, Bertie is really big compared to little Fizz and I was so afraid of her getting hurt..
The chasing and nipping will die down as long as they are not having full on fights I wouldn't seperate..

My two have been bonded almost a year and Gus will still chase poppy and bite her bum :roll: :lol:

Sounds like you just need to take the plunge and leave them together when you are there to supervise.

I pretty much left Bobby and Ruby to it. I was on hand in case blood was drawn :shock: , and there was quite a lot of chasing. They were only trying to sort out who's boss. It's Bobby as it happens, but Ruby keeps him in line quite nicely :wink: Ruby sometimes playfully nips Bobby's bum, but only because she wants to be chased (little tart :lol: ). Take a deep breath and let them sort out their differences :D

yeah i am folkes

just hard to find a WHOLE day lol

it will be easier once its done though i keep telling myself

right- this saturday- here we come

ill keep u all posted

Dont know if this is the 'done' thing, but how about putting them in a carrier and going for a drive, it worked wonders for my 2. They werent overly keen on each other at the initial meeting and my girl got a bit humpy when the boy got in her carrier, but as soon as the motion of the car started they settled down and by the end of the (long) journey they were getting on ok, certainly not humping or scuffling. They got on brilliantly after a couple of hours, it was a worrying time but well wort it! :D

not fighting - more a scuffle. Running , grunting, stamping, hair pulling.

But never a FIGHT- i did the carrier thing when i had them :) worked a treat :)

mine chase and bum nip a lot. One will be all grumpy and refuse to come out for a run so the other chases and nips until they've had a bit of a run! lol!

good luck for that WHOLE day i agree with the physical separation thing mine used to fight if the couldnt get to one another but could see each other through bars - good luck pic looks real promising :thumb:

Rabbers said:
mine chase and bum nip a lot. One will be all grumpy and refuse to come out for a run so the other chases and nips until they've had a bit of a run! lol!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I definately think leave them together. Mine still chase each other from time to time and they've been together for months and most of the time are all lovey and groom each other.

Good luck this weekend.

Back