• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

preventing flystrike

aswell as cleaning daily and checking and fly paper etc
is its reccomended to get the vet to give that stuff ( sorry cant remember what it is) rearguard?!
im just so nervous esp seeing all the flys today while ive been out in the garden.
just wondered if anyone else uses anything like that from the vets etc

Hey again :p

I asked the same question a few weeks ago, and most people suggest not using it as it contains chemicals etc. I was advised to like you say clean the litter trays every day... and to do bum checks every day. I personally check the buns bums every other day but thats because theres not a lot of flies in the area, if there were i would check every day. Im sure u already know how to check buns bums, but if not, you just pick them up and gently flip them over... and just move the fur a little so you can see if their bum is clean. If they are doing lots of sticky poos and have a messy bot u may want to clean it. If puzzle is anything like opal and polo, you may need someone to help u do this... as they have a tendence to try and escape!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont worry though, im sure your doing a great job already.

This is a difficult one. I have lost a rabbit to flystrike before and I have rearguarded two of my rabbits - one is a bit fat, and the other has long fur. Neither of them are fat enough or long-haired enough to be in the high-risk category, but I am terrified of flystrike now. My other two bunnies will be done when I get more rearguard. If you can check your rabbit's bottom daily without freaking her out, then that is probably OK (obviously along with keeping clean, etc). What about when you are on holiday? Will the person looking after your rabbits be able to check their bottoms? Do you trust them to do it properly? If not, you could consider rearguarding for that time only. I don't like using something so obviously noxious on my rabbits, but having seen my poor Ruby with maggots on I'd rather rearguard. Ruby did not like being handeled, so I did not see the maggots 'til too late. Too late came VERY quickly, and although he was a bit quiet, he was still hopping around the house and garden and eating, so there were no other clues until too late.

Back