• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bum Checking

Melanie

Young Bun
Hi

We got two gorgeous (large) rabbits from Janes rescue on 6 April. They were bum checked that day. The question is .... they are still quite nervous about being handled (although will come up to us but don't really like being messed with) so we haven't checked them since. Their hutch is cleaned round every day (litter tray changed every other day) and whole run completely cleaned out on Sundays. They only wee in their litter trays and there is only the odd poop that makes it to the floor, which is cleaned every day. So ... should I just go for it and check them (which I know they wont like) or should I give them another couple of weeks to get used to us before we start peering at their bottoms!!! :oops:

What do you think?

Melanie

Since we are entering fly season, I would clean litter trays daily (especially if they use them!) The thing with fly strike, as I understand it. is that it prgresses extremely quickly.
Unless they are extremely stressedout, i would start checking them daily now. It only takes a few seconds so shouldn;t traumatise them too much. Just pick them up in your arms so they are sideways to your body, then just tip them back gently so you can have a quick check that its all clean back there and all done :D

I think I am just being a wimp ... they are really friendly but not happy being picked up .... and being big it makes it quite awkward. I will have a go tonight and see if they are still speaking to me by the time I put them in for the night.

Thanks

Melanie

Melanie said:
I think I am just being a wimp ... they are really friendly but not happy being picked up .... and being big it makes it quite awkward. I will have a go tonight and see if they are still speaking to me by the time I put them in for the night.

Thanks

Melanie

If you get someone else to hold them on their lap you can get on the floor and do an undercarriage inspection!!

Janex

I lost a bun to flystrike 2 years ago :cry: and it prgressed very rapidly indeed and was extremely upsetting.
Bum checks are essential, but equally important are making sure your buns are not overweight and have a balanced diet, so are not producing excess caecotrophs.

I cant wait .... :shock: OH spends most of his time laughing at me being stressed over this or that with the bunnies ... size of poops .... how many pellets .... you can imagine his face when he found me lying on the utility floor, nose to nose (about 2 foot apart) with one bunny :oops: ... etc etc.

Having a child was so much easier .... there seems so much to learn about bunnies!!!

Thanks

Melanie

I get down on the ground with my two and put them on my lap to do it, it's easier than picking them up and it's less dangerous if you have a squiggly rabbit like I do!

My two boys are easy to check i can do them on my own, but i have to recruit bunnydaddy to help check Polo and Opals bums. I check every other day for clean bots, and find it quite quick. I also clean their trays out everyday, thats the main thing i think. Like everyone else says... just pick em up and gently tip them on their back. Honeybunny Jill showed me how to check buns botties.

hi although dillion is used to the in arm routine now when i first got him though i couldn't pick him up so i used to lie on the floor and just lift his tail not ideal but it works until you get them used to being handled

Back