• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly repellents ('Fly-Free')

charlie3

Warren Scout
Does anyone use the product called 'Fly-Free' spray? It has to be applied once a week. I've put it on my rabbit (Charlie) this morning, just wondered if it's any good??
It sounds good from the description on the bottle, stating that it is offensive to flying and crawling insects, and if they persist and land on a treated animal it is toxic to both the flies and their maggots. Also effective against fleas and lice. :D

Thanks, Claire

Im not sure I would put anything on my buns to keep flies away. Im just making sure the hutch is always clean, checking their bums all the time and waiting for my buzz off stuff from bunnybasics which you dilute with water and spray on the hutches :D

Don't worry i do check his bottom everyday and keep the hutch really clean but just thought it would stop flies buzzing around him as i know how annoying they can be!
That buzz off stuff sounds good, how much is it? At the mo i use a disinfectant 'rabbit safe' spray. Could i use both together?

Cheers for reply,

Claire

Your not talking about 'fly-free zone' spray are you, as far as I know thats meant for hutches not rabbits???? I dont know of a fly free spay meant for rabbits and after having a very unpleasant experience myself (with a different spray) I would be cautious of putting anything directly on my reabbit again. :?

Started noticing a few flies yesterday. Saw something called rearguard at the vets, anyone used it? (basically put a few drops on and it should stop flystrike for a few weeks)

It's a product from Beaphar, just called Fly-Free. (think it is from same company that make rear guard). Definitely made to use on rabbits rear end, not in the hutch.
Just ordered some of that buzz off stuff from bunny basics, sounds good. Well i went a bit mad and ordered a few things!!! :lol:

Claire

Rearguard isnt a deterrent, it is designed to stop baby maggots from developing into the next stage, the stage that eats meat! Flies can still lay their egss and they still hatch. Its good as a back-up but having had a rabbit who was protected with rearguard, still get fly strike and nearly die, I would say a fly repellent would be better or use both if you have to, like at times when someone else is looking after you bunny (I was on holiday at the time mine happened). Rearguard can be washed off, by water and wet poos etc (my rabbit was very old and not able to clean herself) and I/she was lucky she survived, if I had been away another night she waould have been maggot food, a horrible thought! :eek:

I use fly free from Beaphar, used it last summer on buns and guinea pig as it also acts a flea/tick repellent. Touch wood, I didn't get any problems with it and it didn't seem to harm their skin.

I was wondering about using some natural products instead and found some good things on Bunny basics which I ordered, these were a flea repellent spray, containing citronella and a product called bugs be gone.

Main things is excellent hygiene and correct feeding to prevent attraction of the flies, although potentially any bunny could be struck, so botty checks are very important.

xx

The buzz off is brilliant and also the bugs be gone from Gorgeous Guineas. :D I do have some of the fly stuff by beapher but havent used it.

Back