• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Always Get a Second Opinion if You Doubt......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
....your Vet.

Last week the Vet who did not know how to give a Myxi vaccination to Eddie :? ....told me that Eddie had molar spurs and needed a Dental. I was shocked as Eddie only had a Dental 3 weeks ago, his first and he had not even shown any signs of a problem. It was an incidental finding (Oooops, inciDENTAL, pardon the pun :lol: ) I was told then that the molars were 'CLIPPED'...... :shock: :x

Anyways, given that clipping molars can cause severe problems I thought I had better get a second opinion. So this morning Eddie Rabbit went to see Tim. Tim said Eddie's teeth are fine, no spurs and no soft tissue injury/infection.
Had I taken the other Vets word for it Eddie would have had an UNNECESSARY GA 3 weeks after his previous one, (which I am not entirely sure he even needed :? )

So, if you have a gut feeling that the Vet treating your Bun is wrong ask for a second opinion. After all it is you who are paying and so you have every right.

Janex (who is still a bit cross with t'other Vet :x )

I saw another vet as opposed to my usual one who also did not know how to give the myxi vaccination properley. And if it wasnt for Jill, i would not have known to tell her to do it the 10% base of ear way.... instead of sticking it all in the scruff. We often wrongly assume that these vets know what theyre talking about... but alot of the time they know very little about smaller animals such as buns and piggies. Most of them are excellent with dogs though :S

Im sure other people will have brilliant vets who are good with buns and piggies. Just wish there was one of those closer to me.

Im thinking of changing vets actually. There is only one vet I trust there and I hardly ever get to see him because they just book me in with anyone :roll: I was really upset when Buu went to get her stiches removed, the vet who I have never seen before pulled the vetbed from under Buu and tilted the carrier to try and get her out :cry: I screamed at her to stop and refused to let her touch Buu. They brought another vet in but im sure they think I was overreacting and the lady on reception is always really rude to me now. When I was in on saturday with Trip I put some hay and pellets on the counter when I payed the bill and the lady didnt charge me for it. I said did you include the hay and food and she snapped 'no I didnt do you want to buy it do you' I was like yeh thats kind of why I put it on the counter :roll:

Also I just found out my neighbours rabbit died during her spay at this surgery after being told to starve her bunny for a day before the op. I was given this advice by the receptionist when Buu went in but knew it was wrong from here and when I tried to correct her she just got all stroppy and said dont tell me how to do my job :roll:

I dont know how to even go about finding a rabbit savvy vet :( I cant get recommended one on here because nobody lives near me and I dont know anyone with rabbits really

Just been recommended a vet :D :D :D Your thread got me complaining to my brother and his friends about my vet and one of his friends mum has a rabbit so he called her to ask which one she used and she said her vet is pretty good :D Will be calling them soon :wink:

sillyrabbit said:
Just been recommended a vet :D :D :D Your thread got me complaining to my brother and his friends about my vet and one of his friends mum has a rabbit so he called her to ask which one she used and she said her vet is pretty good :D Will be calling them soon :wink:

Great!! :D

Janex

couldnt agree more, when duchess was ill she saw the same vet 2 or 3 times every time he just said there was no problems and to keep trying with the science selective, the whols time duchess got weaker and weaker. asked to see another vet straight away she noticed the teeth problems, one quick op later and duchess was back to her old self

I have to say there are three vets at my surgery who are bleeping brilliant. They know about buns, they give the jabs right, they're perfect. There are a lot of vets at the place but I specifically ask for these three so don't know about the others lol. One of them baby talks the buns and has buns himself, another ran over time on our appointment as he was too busy falling in love with Misa and the 3rd listened and tried a new treatment for my bun and will sue it in future without being a jerk and doing the whole 'I'm a vet so you don't know what you're talking about' rubbish.

I dont think my vet is the greatest vet in the world, but hes ok. Time will tell if I get a problem with one of the buns, hopefully never!

About the myxi vac, my vet put it in the scruff, puched some of the vac through then kind of wiggled the needle around a bit (I'm not explaining this well am I?). Is this completely wrong?

islalee said:
I dont think my vet is the greatest vet in the world, but hes ok. Time will tell if I get a problem with one of the buns, hopefully never!

About the myxi vac, my vet put it in the scruff, puched some of the vac through then kind of wiggled the needle around a bit (I'm not explaining this well am I?). Is this completely wrong?

I expect your Vet gave the intradermal part of the vaccine as he was 'wiggling the needle' !!

The only reason it is suggested that the intradermal part is given in the ear base is because that's where the skin is thickest and you can actually see the needle go between the dermis and epidermis. A skilled Vet should be able to do this in the scruff.

Janex

Back