• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucus on droppings - advice please

willow123

Young Bun
Hi,

My bun Willow seemed a little off yesterday, and sat in his bedroom bit of his cage for a fair bit, but as it has been so warm here, I put it down to the heat, as Gertie the younger bun was also not so fussed on doing much. I saw him eating yesterday, but he didn't seem fussed much today. I have also noticed for the first time some mucus attached to his droppings, a kind of creamy/yellow appearance on quite a few of the droppings. :(

Does anyone have experience of mucus on droppings or have any ideas what it might be?

My poor Willow started having tooth problems last December, and has had his molars done 3 times now, but he didn't fare as well in his last anaesthetic. He also gets the secondary problem that because of his teeth he stops eating, then we are all one trying to get his gut going, which thankfully hasn't happened for a while now, although he now and again doesn't seem to poop that much, or it may be small dropings and quite dark in appearance.

I feel so sorry for my little lad, with his teeth and he seems to be having lots of problems at the moment. :cry:

We get him into the vets as soon as we notice a change in his eating, and both buns had their VHD jab on Friday, so I am not sure if this can affect their poops.

At the minute it feels like constant problems for my sweet lad, and I would do absolutely anything to help him.

Any ideas on the mucus would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Liz, Willow and Gertie

I'm no expert (and really don't want to worry you unnecessarily), but I would get the bunny to the vets asap. I've heard of something called mucoid enteropathy, and think that's when you get mucus in the droppings. :?

Hello

Is your Bun eating normally? He may have been a bit off colour after the VHD Vaccination. Is he passing normal poo aswell as some mucusy ones?
As he has dental problems I assume he does not eat much hay? If not you need to try to find other ways to maximise his fibre intake. Will he eat any of the dried grasses or fresh grass?
What pellet feed does he have? Ones high in fibre, such as A+P would be best.

You could also give hime some Fibreplex, a pro/prebiotic with added fibre

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=21

http://www.medicines4yourpet.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=571

If your Bun is still 'not right' then I would contact your Vet for advice.

Janex

Hi Jane,

Willow ate fine last night although was a quiet bun all day, not too interested this morning, but have just rang my other half, who said he was munching on greens with Gertie.
He is particually fond of rocket and greens, and has been eating more hay since Gertie came on the scene, although not as much as her.
He seems to be passing a mixture of normal droppings and some with moucus on.

We have some fibreplex left from the last time we had gut problems, although he does not like taking it.

He is not interested in grass, but eats an ok amount of the dust free hay we get them, and I give them a variety of fresh veg, mainly greens etc. I give them very little commercial, a tiny handful a day mixed with a small amount of the high fibre pets at home pellets. Where do you get A+P from?

Going to split the buns up this aft, so I can monitor willow on his own, and check all his poops and his behaviour etc.

Thanks for your help again Jane, much appreciated.

Liz, Willow and Gertie x

willow123 said:
Hi Jane,

Willow ate fine last night although was a quiet bun all day, not too interested this morning, but have just rang my other half, who said he was munching on greens with Gertie.
He is particually fond of rocket and greens, and has been eating more hay since Gertie came on the scene, although not as much as her.
He seems to be passing a mixture of normal droppings and some with moucus on.

We have some fibreplex left from the last time we had gut problems, although he does not like taking it.

He is not interested in grass, but eats an ok amount of the dust free hay we get them, and I give them a variety of fresh veg, mainly greens etc. I give them very little commercial, a tiny handful a day mixed with a small amount of the high fibre pets at home pellets. Where do you get A+P from?

Going to split the buns up this aft, so I can monitor willow on his own, and check all his poops and his behaviour etc.

Thanks for your help again Jane, much appreciated.

Liz, Willow and Gertie x

I get my A+P delivered from the Farm I buy my Hay Bales from.

Bunny Basics do an excellent high fibre pellet feed, it has 27.4% fibre. I believe the P@H one only has 14% :?

Here's a link to Bunny Basics

http://www.bunnybasics.net/proper-food-pets™-natural-rabbit-hifi-20kg-p-1009.html

They provide an really good service :thumb:

I know what you mean about the Fibreplex. All the Buns I have had to administer it to hate it :? :cry:
If the mucus in his poo continues I'd take him and a sample of his poo to the Vet.

Janex

Fiver had mucus in his stools before although it was a clear jelly like substance and it was caused by an inflammation of his gut :( he also had cystitis and molar spura at the same time and ended up on baytril, metacam and bio lapis probiotics for a week, which sorted him out just fine :D

Back