• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maxitrol Eye Drops for watery eye

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi - Has anyone used these eye drops for their bun? I've just been away for a week and Humphrey still has a bit of a watery eye. On Saturday when I got back it was a bit milky so I started him on the Maxitrol drops which the Vet had given me to use if it was still watering when I got home. Apparently I have to use these for two weeks, but inside the pack it says they are for humans. Has anyone used these and has anyone else's buns had watery eyes? Bit stumped by this as Humphrey has had a couple of weeks on Tiacil and a week on Fucithalmic. Claire x

At work we routinely use Maxitrol on dogs and cats - never heard of it being used on rabbits before though. (this doesn't mean that some vets don't use it of course)
I'm guessing that if Tiacil and Fucithalmic haven't worked, the vet will be trying out another eye drop in the hope that it will... We stock about 10 different eye drops, and with dogs/cats it often takes 3 or 4 attempts at different ones to find out which best suits the animal.
The vet wouldn't have given you something that they thought would be harmful

Haven't heard of them, but I know some vets are more comfortable with using drugs that aren't licenced for use with rabbits. I'm sure it won't harm your bunny though.

Has the cause been investigated at all? I know nothing about it really, but I wondered about a tear duct problem, or dental problem causing eye watering..?? :?

I have used Maxitrol on a few of my Buns. It does contain a steroid so needs to be used with caution if infection is present ie on specific advice from your Vet. I have one Bun, Murphy, who may have to remain on it for life as he has an EC induced uveitis. The Maxitrol keeps it well controlled but every time we stop the treatment the uveitis flares up.

Janex

Thanks for your replies! Rang the Vet for advice and they said to use the Maxitrol for two weeks only, see how Humphrey does on them and then take him back if there is still a problem. This is a different vet to my usual one, who seemed to think Humph's problem may be allergic conjunctivitis. I presume this is why I sometimes get a milky discharge and sometimes just watering. I've read a milky discharge is infection?? It doesn't seem as bad today, but we've only used the Maxitrol since Saturday, so we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, I'll have to think about tear duct flushing, although the Vet said this would only give temporary relief. Also wondering about anti-allergy eye drops for him, if it is allergy. Claire x

So far, so good with the Maxitrol. The Vet I saw said to use for two weeks.
Jane, I see you said Murphy has to have Maxitrol regularly and I was just wondering what the advice was about the long-term use of Maxitrol. Just asking in case Humph needs it for longer than two weeks! Claire x

minilops said:
So far, so good with the Maxitrol. The Vet I saw said to use for two weeks.
Jane, I see you said Murphy has to have Maxitrol regularly and I was just wondering what the advice was about the long-term use of Maxitrol. Just asking in case Humph needs it for longer than two weeks! Claire x

Well its obviously not the best scenario as it contains a steroid. So should infection recur or a corneal ulcer form there may well be a problem with getting the infection under control or the ulcer to heal. But the only alternative for Murphy would be Enucleation and that's something I want to avoid if at all possible.

Janex

Back