• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you have done??

Adele

Warren Veteran
Hiya :D
After a lovely evening out with friends, we drove back home late last night ....on one the major roundabouts David accidently drove over a tiny rabbit in the road, but thankfully did not hit it :!: I asked David to go back slowly around the (busy)roundabout so I could have a second look at little rabbit, and I noticed its eyes were closed tight but it was sitting up and alive.
We know from past experience that wild rabbits are invariably difficult to hand raise, never properly adapt to a domestic situation and bring disease risk to your own rabbit population.
David started to drive away from the roundabout as we both knew the difficulties in trying to help the little rabbit, BUT David suddenly braked , looked at the tears welling up in my eyes, and did a speedy U Turn.
We got back to the roundabout and managed to stop in front on the bunny, and David slammed on the hazard lights....I risked life and limb by darting out (by now donned with plastic gloves which we carry in the car) and grabbed the little one.
I could not see much as David drove home, but just tried to warm the rabbit up as he/ she was cold and shivering.
Once home, we immediately de fleaed rabbit outside, and flicked on spot light so I could examine rabbit properly. I had at first thought rabbit had Myxomatosis as its eyes were firmly shut and inflammed, but I soon realised it was a 10-12 day old youngster whose eyes had never opened :( I got some warm water and cotton buds, and gently cleaned out the eyes, and managed to get them open :)
Little rabbit now had a view of the world, but goodness knows what the poor mite thought of us :roll: :lol:
I prepared some special (lactulose free) kitten/ puppy milk and gave tiny drops to the rabbit, who was soon happily slurping away :)
I rubbed his/ her bottom with cottonbud to help stimulate emptying of bladder etc, and then popped rabbit in an enclosed box with piles of hay and a snugglesafe.
Little rabbit had slight breathing problems, but I feel this may be an upper respiratory infection from his/ her being lost from the nest, and the eyes problems. I have phoned the vet and I am starting the little rabbit on a minute dose of antibiotic to see if that helps.
I was expecting the little rabbit to have passed away overnight, but this morning he/ she was sitting on top of the hay looking all alert and obviously keen for some food :D Rabbit soon munched down the handful of grass I gave it, and has had a small feed of the special milk.
I will take the rabbit to the vets for a check up within the next few days, but we agreed at the moment it is best to keep the rabbit here and not move it again until it has recovered from the trauma of the past few days.
The rabbit is in isolation for the foreseeable future, as even though all the Sanctuary rabbits are fully vaccinated, we want to take very precaution we can.
What would you have done in the circumstances :?:
Please send your vibes for this little rabbit, I hope she/ he survives...I will take some photos soon.
Love Adele and little rabbit

What would you have done?

Tried to do what you did, but I don't have the experience or equipment so probably would not have been anywhere near as successful. Sounds like a very good outcome :D

awww well done Adele I am really pleased that you have got this little one and if anyone can help this little soul pull through its you - good luck I have everything crossed for this little soul XX

Aww thats lovely, welldone, ur a star and im sure the lil bun thinks so to, if you hadnt done what u did goodness knows what would have happened to the poor wee thing, i prob would have done the same but again i wouldnt have a clue what to do.
:thumb: xx

I think you did really well, and i hope this little bunny comes through ok. If he/she does, it is all credit to your quick intervention.

Bless you.
xx

Awww Adele, I would have done (or tried to do) exactly the same. I know there's always the feeling that we shouldn't meddle with nature, but the little mite would just have been squished by a car had you not rescued him/her so I think you did the right thing. Now little bunny has a chance, and even if they never adapt fully to domestic life a life, I'm sure you'll provide the best life possible for it and with a partner I don't see why a little wild bun shouldn't lead a good life in captivity! :)

Well done you for rescuing it, I really hope it survives, and I can't wait to see pics :D .

Aw well done Adele! :D

I must admit that I probably would have left him or taken him to a wildlife hospital because I wouldn't have known what else to do, but I'm glad this has had a good outcome.

I wouldn't have done it, because I wouldn't have known what on earth I was doing. Well done, and hope the story has a happy outcome. :)

I'd have done exactly the same as you. Although knowing my luck I'd have got run over in the process..... :roll:

I hope the little Bun continues to thrive. Since losing my 6 year old wild Bun Katie :cry: I keep hearing lots on here about people finding wild Buns.
Although wild, Katie lived a happy life as a House Rabbit for 6 years so its not impossible for them to cope.

Janex :)

Adele you are an amazing rabbit owner whose experience and love I have no doubt has saved countless lives... and this is just an example of one....
I personally think you have done the right thing! Because you know a lot about rabbits this lil one has a chance that he wouldnt have got had it been someone else to come by him... (or her :lol: ) I really hope bunny makes it. If you hadnt have got him, he wouldnt have likely survived past the night - being so far from home, near a road and having no eyes open.! Well done!

I dont think theres any doubt you did the right thing. I would definately have dont the same, only I wouldnt have let my hubby drive off the first time! :lol:

Bunnies in the wild have a rough life and at least this little one has a chance now, well done.

Back