• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best wood for hutches?

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Me and my dad are measuring up for two custom built hutches...i think that we are looking at making the out of 6 or 9mm ply. Would this be suitable?

Tounge and grove is more hard wearing and less likely to warp/rot. We build our hutch nearly 10 yrs ago and its still in good nick. If you do go for ply use marine ply and as thick as possible.

I made my last one using 12mm plywood - it's 5yrs old now & still as solid as when it was built. If you use 6mm you will need lots of softwood as well for framing and support . Thicker ply keeps the construction simpler.

Mike

Well i am not good at building things but my dad is and i think he mentioned making the frame out of some kind of baton.
Pepsi are you saying that with the thicker stuff we won't need the frame work?

I joined the panels (sides & back) together using the legs & fixed just the base using battens. The front is made of softwood timber of various sizes.

Mike

Hmmp well hopefully my dad will know what he's doing. I will be on hand to make tea! Have you got any pics of your hutch? x

Found one! (must get our photos sorted better).
I added some cladding too on the exposed plywood end (probably over the top :lol: )

Mike
PICT0962.jpg

Back