• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Guinea Pig

Fayeloicia

Warren Scout
I've been to the in-laws today for a Sunday Lunch, and I really do feel sorry for the guinea pig they keep.

It's in a small hutch, it's at least 3 foot by 1 by 1, not sure about the size as I haven't measured it. I know that Joey's old hutch is bigger, and that's 4 foot by 2 by 2.

The hutch is literally falling apart. It's so saddening to see, and it's claws are so long, not so long it can't walk but they could do with cutting.

The thing is, I don't feel like I can say anything with it being the OH's mum and dad. One of their sons has a hamster which doesn't get looked after, and they also have 2 fish, which also don't get looked after - and now they want a dog :evil: I know they won't look after it, once the puppy-novelty has worn off and it chews everything in sight it won't get walked or anything. The run for the guinea pig is absolutely pitiful, it could escape if it wanted to. And it wasn't even in the run today, on a beautiful day like this, it was locked up in its hutch.

It makes me so mad, but there's nothing I can really do. They did have two guinea pigs, but one died as they forgot to water it :evil: :x AND they have offered to look after my buns when I go to Gt Yarmouth in September for a few days rather than have me pay to take them to a boarding place. After the way they treat their guinea pigs I'd much rather pay through the nose to make sure they did get looked after. It's a nice gesture of them, but I'm not even sure they would go round every day to check on them.

Anyway, I'm going to be donating Joey's old hutch to them, it's only marginally larger than the one they've got, but at least it's not going to fall apart. Need to give it a good scrub before they have it though.

Oooooh I think I'd have to say something.... like thanks for the offer but I need to know my animals will be looked after! :evil:

Poor Piggie

Hi,

Had you thought of asking them if they would like you to have him for a bit?

Re: Poor Piggie

Sue said:
Hi,

Had you thought of asking them if they would like you to have him for a bit?

No, as I know if I do have the guinea pig they would simply get more. The mother is already talking of having more baby guinea pigs when they get my old hutch :( It'd be just like a pet shop, I take away one guinea pig so they can get 2 more babies.

Poor Piggie

Mmmmhh, I see your problem.

Have you thought of bringing up the new Animal Welfare Act in conversation, and just happening to have a leaflet or two about your person with some more info? :D

Does their garden overlook a neighbours? I'd be tempted to put in an anon call to the rspca. That way you don't have to risk yourself and the g's will get some help and if they mention it, look all shocked!

Back