• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what age is pregnancy possible?

emilyarc

Warren Scout
Hi,
I was wondering if 2 girls and a boy approx 3 months old are living together. Can you keep them together or should they be split? at what age can a female get pregnant?
When does the boy become capable of getting them pregnant?
Thanks for info, just wondering! I AM NO WAY THINKING OF BREEDING JUST CURIOUSITY!!!

It will depend, some boys have been known to get a female pregnant as young as nine weeks :shock: , girls usually take a little longer but definitely split them up now until all are fixed. :)

The majority of female rabbits reach sexual maturity between 4 - 6 months, the average male can develop testicles between 10 - 12 weeks depending upon breed and rate of development.

As a rescue we tend to keep young males and females together, however we check them, daily for signs of the male maturing. We have a vet who is experienced enough and will neuter males as soon as they are fully developed or almost developed, females we get neutered as soon as they reach 1 kg in weight. Due to our 'obsessive wathcing' of our buns and having the opportunity to book rabbits in the following day for neutering. We are in the position to do this safely and have never had amu problems.

However if you are inexperienced at observing the maturity of a rabbit and do not have the opportunity to gain a quick neutering I would not recomend this as leaving them too long can result in accidents.

As the others suggest I would recomend splitting them, however I would be interested in knowing where the information about female rabbits being able to get pregnant at 2 months or younger comes from. From my own personal experience I have never known this at such a young age, if this is accurate I would be interested in knowing the exact age at conception and also the type of breed.

FYI, I've known of several rabbits that gave birth at 4 months of age, meaning they got pregnant at 3 months (accidental pregnancies- not my rabbits!). Dwarf breeds tend to mature faster than larger breeds and are more likely to have this happen. Births at such a young age are very dangerous and should not be risked.

And like Michaela said, we have both heard of boys 8-9 weeks old fathering litters. :shock:

Back