• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hardboard - is it safe? Or other base material???

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
I need to make a base for Evo's new cage, when I finally get enough space to set it up (one of the deluxe bunny chalets) because I know he'll eat the carpet otherwise. I always thought I was going to use hardboard. He won't be able to chew the edges, but o/h said it might not be safe for Evo because it is treated? Would it be safe for a base for Evo's new cage?

If not, what else could I use? Think the actual space I will need to cover is around 110cm square.

:wave: hardboard is bonded with resins and glues so not advisable for bunnies. i found that brown table felt does the job and it is something cool to lay on in summer. hope this helps. :rabbit2:

fozzybear said:
i found that brown table felt does the job and it is something cool to lay on in summer. hope this helps. :rabbit2:

What's that, where would I get it, and would it withstand attack from a chewer and digger? :oops: Ta.

:wave: table felt is brown on one side and white underneath. it should be ok for a digger and chewer, but is anything that resistant. my little mates had a good go and did not usaually make much mess of it. you sholud be able to by it from a good haberdashers, look see if you have a dunelm mill close, thats where i get mine. you can however buy a small one from argos stores look in the table cloth section. hpoe this helps and good luck :rabbit2:

fozzybear said:
:wave: table felt is brown on one side and white underneath. it should be ok for a digger and chewer, but is anything that resistant. my little mates had a good go and did not usaually make much mess of it. you sholud be able to by it from a good haberdashers, look see if you have a dunelm mill close, thats where i get mine. you can however buy a small one from argos stores look in the table cloth section. hpoe this helps and good luck :rabbit2:

Thanks, I had a look at some on ebay, I'm not convinced that Evo wouldn't destry it! :lol: Anyone else got any suggestions?

Back