• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery from EC

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hello again. I just wondered what people could tell me from experience what to expect in a rabbit recovering from EC infection.

Marcy is making steady gains and still has an appetite, though sometimes on a bad day this is a little variable. She has binkied a few times but this varies from day to day.

She has finished her Baytril and is in the middle of her 28 day Panacur.

I haven't seen her wibble wobble for ages or fall over but she occasional does a mad flop on her back which is NOT a normal pose for MY bunnies. I have seen Sumi do this once pre-binky but I think its a dizzy EC thing for Marcy.

What should I expect - is it a case that the worst is over and I have to keep hoping? Is there anything I could do extra to help e.g. adjuvant treatments/homepathic treatments.

Also, the million dollar question, she is now due her Myxi vaccine, like all the others. I suppose I shouldn't be vaccinating a bunny with a compromised immune system? Unfortunately, my vet is sitting on the fence about this and won't really give me an opinion on it. :roll: Please give me your experience and opinions.

Fiona x

Hi Fiona

I am glad Marcy is slowly improving. It is hard to give a definate answer to how far her recovery from EC will go. But as she is still on treatment I think you may well see more positive changes in the next couple of weeks.
One of the Buns I once nursed through EC was also prescribed STEMETIL (the medication we take for motion sickness) It certainly helped reduce my EC Buns 'dizziness'

As for the vaccination, I know Christobel (my Vet) NEVER vaccinates a Bun with an active infection of any kind. To be effective the vaccine needs to produce a good immune response and this is unlikely to happen in a Bun fighting EC. Personally I would wait until Marcy's EC treatment has been completed. In the meantime I'd be vigilant re vector control (fleas and mozzies)

Janex

Back