• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jack's hurt her leg! U/D - getting worse

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I had her VHD done yesterday and today hubby said she'd developed a limp - i.e. wasn't putting any weight on her front right paw... obviously i ring my vet's who say they can only do me an emergency appt at a £50 charge, on top of the checkup fee, medicines etc

So I managed to find a vet 1/2 hour away who was open and took her there. Apparently it's swollen on her forearm and her elbow joint, nothing broken so they've given her tetracyclin and a painkiller (not sure what)..

She hasn't even been outside, had nothing stuck in her paw, does ANYONE have any clues as to why she's hurt herself? Is it just a coincidence that she had her jab yesterday?

I know it pales into insignificance against some of the awful troubles other buns have but I've only every dealt with the sniffles and am a bit worried about her.

Sorry for the long post, any advice more than welcome!!!

DONT WORRY!!

A limp after a VHD injection can happen. It is meant to be caused when the oil based vaccine makes contact with the nerves supplying the front legs. I would be quite confident that the lameness and inflamation will subside within 24-48 hours

Janex

aww FAB i'm so glad I have you guys. BOTH vets I spoke to (having explained the situation about the VHD) said "oh I VERY much doubt it's caused by the vaccine", one of them, my regular, even half chuckled as she said it. It does sound a bit random but I'm so glad you've both said that

You're both STARS! thanks!

although I think it's a little sad that an internet forum (albeit with many more members) would know this and a trained vet wouldn't.... in the future I'll wait till AFTER I consult you guys before I panic :)

I know what you mean! When Rowan was limping I panicked then I remembered reading something on here about it so did a search and other people had said the same. I rang the vets to tell them and they said they'd never heard of it :roll:

Hope Jack feels better soon.

I wouldn't worry too much as it sounds like VHD limp. Three of our buns limped the day after the vacination. It passed after about 24 hours.

When we took Willow for his VHD I asked our vet about it and she said she'd never heard of it before. I explained that it had affect 3 of ours and I'd heard of it before. We know it exists as it's been mentioned on here many times but why won't the vets say so? This can cause a lot of worry to bunny owners who aren't aware of it. Is there anything we can do so that vets will accept that this side effect is real?

Hope she feels better soon.

Suzanne said:
I wouldn't worry too much as it sounds like VHD limp. Three of our buns limped the day after the vacination. It passed after about 24 hours.

When we took Willow for his VHD I asked our vet about it and she said she'd never heard of it before. I explained that it had affect 3 of ours and I'd heard of it before. We know it exists as it's been mentioned on here many times but why won't the vets say so? This can cause a lot of worry to bunny owners who aren't aware of it. Is there anything we can do so that vets will accept that this side effect is real?

Hope she feels better soon.

I do my Buns VHD Vaccinations myself (after careful instruction from my Vet). I always inject off centre in the scruff to minimise the risk of the vaccine hitting a nerve. So far *touches wood* I have never had a Bun I have vaccinated develop a limp. I think it is actually the vaccine manufacturers who are reluctant to admit the possible side effect.

Janex

I have to go in at some point as I forgot to take my records with me when she had the vaccine so when I do I will tell them..

you'd think they'd at least unofficially tell people who rang up worried instead of scoffing at them! cheeky moos!!!!

U/D

Well it's been 24 hours and her leg is back. The painkillers kicked in after about 3 hours yesterday and she was putting some weight on it but she's back to holding it pathetically off the floor.

It's now visibly swollen (worse than yesterday), even under her thick fluff I can see it and it breaks my heart to see her hoppling about, washing her face with one paw etc.

If it's still bad tomorrow I will take her back but is it normal for this to last this long? She was vaccinated about 3pm on Friday...?

oh no poor Jack :( If I remember rightly Rowan was vaccinated quite late on a friday and was back to normal by the Monday...maybe see how she is in the morning and take her back?

Someone else might think differently.

thanks Mandy... I'm planning to take her back at some point tomorrow (damn work always gets in the way) if she's not better. I just don't want to be worrying if it's going to go away by itself but I hate seeing her in this state!

buddabun said:
U/D

Well it's been 24 hours and her leg is back. The painkillers kicked in after about 3 hours yesterday and she was putting some weight on it but she's back to holding it pathetically off the floor.

It's now visibly swollen (worse than yesterday), even under her thick fluff I can see it and it breaks my heart to see her hoppling about, washing her face with one paw etc.

If it's still bad tomorrow I will take her back but is it normal for this to last this long? She was vaccinated about 3pm on Friday...?

The anti-inflammatory/analgesic will have worn off by now. Did the Vet give you any oral Metacam to give today? If not then you could try a cool compress on her leg if she will allow it and it is not too stressful for her. A cool compress can be made by wrapping a clean teatowel around an ice-cube and holding it against the leg. Or just make the towel wet with cold water and hold that against the leg. If Jack is still lame tomorrow I would ask the Vet for some more anti-inflammatory/analgesic for her.

Janex

I wasn't given anything to take away, partly I think as it wasn't my regular vet and they were a bit sniffy about me being there (not like there were any other customers!!!).

thanks Jane, will definitely try a cold compress if she'll let me - might make her a bit more comfortable!

thanks from Jack :bunny:

I have had quite a few suffer from a limp after the VHD jab and it's usually three days before the limping and any swelling goes. They always have Metacam for the pain.
If the limp is still there tomorrow along with the swelling then I would most definately take her back to the vet as she may have had an allergic reaction to the vaccine.
Such a lot of vets do not know that a limp and pain can be an after effect of the VHD vaccine :roll: it's ridiculous :?
Hopefully you will see signs of improvement soon :D

she's still got it so I'm taking her to the vets on my lunch hour (well, 20 mins but who cares, I'll be late!).

thanks so much for the advice guys, I'm glad it's not some deadly infection although it's very sad to see her like this.

I will try to find some info about VHD limp and take it with me to the vets to shove in their face... laugh at me will you!!! NASTY WOMAN.

ok there is NOTHING on the internet!!! wikipedia has never heard of VHD and all I can find about limping bunnies on google is a link to a poll here and a topic at another bunny website. phhh!

took her back to the vet yesterday (my proper vet who we had not seen about this). she had NO idea what it was, shaved her leg, had a good prod (all the whoile jack is breathing as fast as a doormouse and terrified lol) and gave up in the end, giving her baytril and an anti-inflammatory. I've just given her another dose of baytril today and it seems to be going down but we've booked her in for an Xray tomorrow

the vet seems totally unconvinced about VHD limp, looked it up in her vaccine book and couldnt find anything. I really don't know what to think. I told her "a friend" of mine (didn't want to go into the whole forum thing as most people don't understand ) who keeps loads of rabbits has had it happen to several but she didn't see the connection, no deep nerves around the scruff etc.

ANYWAY will keep you updated, she seems a little better today although not fully restored bless her.

x

I hope Jack's leg gets better soon. Until I am proven wrong I remain convinced its a s/e of the VHD Vaccine. The trouble is if Vets refuse to accept it as a posssibility and report it to the vaccine manufacturers the manufacturers wont know and so wont include it as a possible S/E in the vaccine information data.

I will be interested to see if the new vaccine LAPINJECT causes any 'post vaccination limps' :? I have so far vaccinated 10 Buns and none have had a problem.

Do you know if Jack was vaccinated with CYLAP or LAPINJECT?

Janex

Back