• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed-rabbit not interested in food this morning

charlie3

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, my rabbit (charlie) is not at all interested in eating his food this morning, he has eaten his food overnight and has done lots of normal looking poos in the litter tray. But about an hour ago he has done some stringy poos (5 poos strung together).
His bottom is clean. He seems slightly more lethargic than normal (although he does normally chill out in a morning).
Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks, Claire :?

Hi there. I would arrange for him to be seen by a vet and given some gut stimulant.

If possible, I would give him 2mls of Infacol and some gentle tummy rubs too. This should help dispel any gas that might be building up in his tummy.

Lots of tempting treats too to see if he is intetersted in anything.

Hope he feels better soon

Fiona x

Thank you. Will a vet see him on a saturday? I will buy some infacol today. He is only a mini lop so will 2mls be ok? He has eaten one of his favourite treats but not interested in anything else. I have some fibreplex i had to use a few weeks ago (when he had a sticky bottom/changing food), should i give him some of that or not?

Claire

I would be inclined to see the vet, even if it is the emergency vet. Gut stasis comes on quickly and usually the first sign is not interested in food.
It is pretty critical that they get gut stimulant and pain relief.

I would be inclined to give the 2ml of infacol, belly rubs and I would syringe in some boiled cooled (warm) water with a little pineapple juice (fresh not from concentrate) as the water and juice have always helped my bunnies' sore tummies and made them feel a little better.

You might need to be prepared to syringe feed him later if he still isn't interested in eating.

Sending get well wishes

Fiona x

Should i try the infacol and cool boiled water first before taking him to vets later on? He seems a bit more perky and has just had a little run round the lounge. he is now lying stretched out. I've given him some tummy rubs.

Thanks for all you help,

Claire

If any of mine aren't eating, I first try the infacol and tummy rubs and make sure they have a good run around (as this can sometimes help to get rid of the wind). I then try tempting them with some herbs and dandelion leaves. If they're not better within a couple of hours, then it's to the vets.
If he's not eaten since this morning, I'd be tempted to get him to the vet now.
Hope Charlie feels better soon.

Hi i'm in ashby de la zouch. Charlie seems alot better now, I've given him infacol and some nice tummy rubs and he's eaten a couple of little treats and a little bit of hay, but still not interested in his pellets. He's had a run around and is behaving quite normally (got him in the lounge with me). He's lying stretched out now which he wouldn't do this morning. He's just drank loads of water from his bowl too.
I rang the vets who said they wouldn't see him today and if he isn't eating normally by the morning they'll see him then!
Shall i try some pure pineapple juice???

Claire, Thanks everyone.

charlie3 said:
I rang the vets who said they wouldn't see him today and if he isn't eating normally by the morning they'll see him then!

:shock: :shock:

Has he poo'd anymore today? If not then I think you need to INSIST the Vet sees him. If he has poo'd then 'yes' you could give some Pineapple juice. Some dandelion leaves would be good too.
How old is he? It may be that he has some molar spurs(sharp spikes on his back teeth) causing him discomfort when eating his pellet feed.

Its good that he is drinking as Buns with reduced GI motility can dehydrate

Janex

Yes he's just done a few more stringy poos in his litter tray so will try the pineapple juice now. He's had a little chew on his straw mat he sits on too! Charlie is one and a half.
His tummy is rumbling, is this a sign the infacol is working? He seems ok in himself. I've tried to look at his teeth, but he's not keen, but is front ones are definitely ok but can't really see much further back. He ate all his food overnight and had done lots of poos early morning.
Oh he's having a real good chew on his straw mat!!!

Thanks again, you're all so helpful,

Claire

charlie3 said:
Yes he's just done a few more stringy poos in his litter tray so will try the pineapple juice now. He's had a little chew on his straw mat he sits on too! Charlie is one and a half.
His tummy is rumbling, is this a sign the infacol is working? He seems ok in himself. I've tried to look at his teeth, but he's not keen, but is front ones are definitely ok but can't really see much further back. He ate all his food overnight and had done lots of poos early morning.
Oh he's having a real good chew on his straw mat!!!

Thanks again, you're all so helpful,

Claire

Is he a Dwarf or Mini Lop? They are slightlly more prone to problems with their back teeth. Only a Vet could tell you if Charlie has molar spurs as the teeth need to be examined with an otoscope.

The gurgling from his tum is at least a sign that there is some movement. It sounds like he has a combination of reduced GI motility, often a consequence of a bun not eating enough hay due to molar spurs, made worse by ingestion of fur. I would also give him a good groom, especially at the base of his spine where it meets his tail. You dont want him ingesting too much fur when he grooms himself.

Janex

Yes he'a mini lop. He's munching on strawberry leaves and dandelion leaves at the mo so hopefully he feels a bit better. He seems to enjoy his hay, I ordered a trial pack from the hay experts which he's loved. I get his usual hay from a farm shop (it smells fab) and he seems to munch on it alot. His teeth were checked in feb when he had a vaccine. Should i take him this week to get them checked again??

Cheers, Claire

charlie3 said:
Yes he'a mini lop. He's munching on strawberry leaves and dandelion leaves at the mo so hopefully he feels a bit better. He seems to enjoy his hay, I ordered a trial pack from the hay experts which he's loved. I get his usual hay from a farm shop (it smells fab) and he seems to munch on it alot. His teeth were checked in feb when he had a vaccine. Should i take him this week to get them checked again??

Cheers, Claire

Well it might be a good idea as gut problems are usually a SECONDARY symptom of some other issues. At least if the Vet checks Charlie's teeth your mind will be put at ease.
I get my hay from a Farm and it is lovely at the moment too. It smells so sweet I am tempted to try some myself!! :lol:

Janex

Back