• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nuts for buns?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
Just bought a yummy nut mix (for me) and was wondering which (if any) nuts the bunnies are allowed, in moderate doses of course. The pack contains (with no additives or chocolate or anything) :

- cashews
- almonds
- pine nuts
- sunflower seeds
- walnut halves
- raisins (always popular)

My old bunny used to love pumpkin and sunflower seeds...... mind you she also use to steal the odd Brazil nut too! :eek: :shock:

cavysrock said:
rabbits can't have nuts, but theyw ould like the rasisns :)
I have read this on here before, but have never found out why!!!!
I have had about 12 rabbits over the last 12 years or so and 1 of them absolutely loved pistachio nuts (they HAD to be from lidls). He out lived all of his siblings by about 4 years. So I would be really interested to know why nuts are harmful.

One of my bridge bunnies used to go absolutley crazy if he smelt peanuts - and nuts are included in some of the packet treats that you get.

I give my bunnies peanuts in husks I thought that was OK :shock:

I first saw them in one of those bunnny hampers with wholemeal toasts etc so thought they must be OK :?

I believe you cant give g pigs nuts.

Rabswood

They're very fatty, and not in a bun's natural diet, which is why a lot of people don't give nuts and tend to stick to healthier, higher fibre treats.

Also, some of them are quite small and pointy and there's a worry they might do some damage if not chewed properly (and I know my buns have trouble chewing food instead of inhaling it :lol: :lol: )

Inimical Me said:
They're very fatty, and not in a bun's natural diet, which is why a lot of people don't give nuts and tend to stick to healthier, higher fibre treats.

Also, some of them are quite small and pointy and there's a worry they might do some damage if not chewed properly (and I know my buns have trouble chewing food instead of inhaling it :lol: :lol: )

So in moderation, like most things, "a little bit of what you fancy does you good". I can understand they are fatty, but surely nuts are high in fibre. I scoffed a few!!!! too many on Tuesday night and it was Friday evening, before it was safe for me to be any more than 10 seconds from a loo! :oops: :oops: :oops: Luckily I work from home. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't give my three new buns any nuts though, I am sticking to healthy :?: treats for them. Thanks for answering my question.

I reckon in moderation :thumb:.

It's certainly never done either of mine harm when they manage to get their head in the bag of hamster food... :lol:

I choose not to feed nuts as they are high in protein and fatty, also are hard to digest, especially if not chewn properly! Although the odd nut is probably not going to harm a rabbit, I see no real point when they enjoy a bit of carrot or coriander which is so much better for them.

I also believe that nuts can get stuck in teeth and cause nasty infections....not sure how true that is though.

Back