• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

relocating

Bunnymonster

Warren Scout
I need some advice on how best to move house with my 2 buns.

At the moment I live in Kent, after lots of planning and discussing over the easter weekend, we might be moving to the Isle of Wight. I'm really keen to go, but I'm a bit concerned about moving my babies. It's going to be a 3 hour car journey, broken by a ferry crossing of between 40 & 60 minutes, depending which route we take.

They had a 30 min car trip to stay with my mums while we were away, and while Ben just chills in the travel cage, Lily hates it. She wouldn't settle at all. I just wanted to see what anyone else though about long car journeys and if I should be taking them out for trips just to get them used to it.

Bunnymonster said:
I need some advice on how best to move house with my 2 buns.

At the moment I live in Kent, after lots of planning and discussing over the easter weekend, we might be moving to the Isle of Wight. I'm really keen to go, but I'm a bit concerned about moving my babies. It's going to be a 3 hour car journey, broken by a ferry crossing of between 40 & 60 minutes, depending which route we take.

They had a 30 min car trip to stay with my mums while we were away, and while Ben just chills in the travel cage, Lily hates it. She wouldn't settle at all. I just wanted to see what anyone else though about long car journeys and if I should be taking them out for trips just to get them used to it.

My bun that i have had from a baby bun is very much used to car journeys - we used to take her and her sister to my parents back garden for big runs so they were used to a lead and the car.
As it happens - we took them across to the IOW for a weeks holiday and took them up to the top deck where they allow animals on their leads - i thought they'd hate it - but they loved it - they were jumping onto the plastic seats and having a real good look around.

If you have one bun that's happy this can sometimes 'rub off' on to the one that's not so sure - do you put Lily and Ben in the same box (i sometimes think a smaller box is better when on the move so there is not too much room to fall over - but enough for both buns to flop out).
Also - make sure you give the buns a water break if you are on a long journey - and if they won't drink any or it's hot, it can be a good idea to flick them with water instead.

Mine were fine on the trip down from Cambridge to Kent which was about 2 1/2 hours.

They were in a large dog basket type cage and I found the best way was to cover them over so that they couldn't see what was happening. They settled a lot quicker that way. Other buns I have had haven't mided too much either on a longer journey.

i found with Gus, who hated the car, that when we had to take him to harrogate to the vets (about 1hour from ours) - i let him sit on a blanket on my knee and he was much calmer

he now loves the car. it probably helps that he likes to be held but if yours do, it might help for the actual car journey

I had this recently

Ralph, since we got him had always lived in Kent. But recently I split with my partner and moved to greenwich in London.

I keft Ralph at kent untill I had prepared the garden for him then I collected him.

I was very worried about him in the car (only a 40 min drive) but put him in a pet carry case, on the front seat, seat belted in. Facing me

I've never driven so slowly! and kept talkign to him

He was fine!

you can get serene drops for troublesome rabbits or for ones that re being transprted long distances.

Back